Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota L3540HST-1

Default Best way to learn = do!

I purchased my new kubota L3540 back in January and didn't get much of a chance to use it until the snow melted. Sure, I played with it in the snow a bit, but the real work was planned to begin when the weather turned a bit warmer.

Now that the weather is nice, I have been taking full advantage of this new machine to install a 300' driveway. This involved first scraping all the top soil off and piling it up. I then replaced the top soil with fill (mostly sand mixture) and brought it up to the desired grade level. I probably moved 500 yards of fill material to create the grade that was needed. I then started the process of moving the road gravel off of an existing driveway onto the new driveway. This involved a lot of scraping, piling and FEL work to move 6" of road gravel for the 12' wide x 300' long drive.

I did end up running short with the road gravel since the old driveway was straight and new one is curved, so I had about 30ton of crushed concrete brought out and dumped evenly on the whole length. Didn't take too much grading work after that to get it just right.

I am now in the process of balancing the site on both sides of the new drive which involves a lot of grading and FEL work. In some areas, there is a 2' grade difference between the new driveway and old grade. I have pictures that I will be posting soon so you can see the magnitude of the work that has been done. I have about 40+ hours into this project. I probably could have hired this project out and have it completed in 1 day, but I couldn't image a better way to learn all the operations of my new tractor and the finer points of using the box blade and FEL bucket.
    Thomas (aka Kubota Tee)

Kubota L3540 with LA724 FEL.,HD Bucket with bolt on cutting edge, Custom FEL Forks, Taylor Way 7' box blade, 6' gill rake, Custom Tree Scoop, 6' Woods finish mower, custom FEL attached snow plow.

Toro GT2300 with 54" mower deck, snow blade and 42" spreader/spiker.

Qualicum Beach on Vancouver Island, BC. Canada
    Tractor
    2008 CK35 HST

Default Re: Best way to learn = do!

Looking forward to the pics.

Tractor
    TC 30 Newholland

Good on ya. I do a lot of stuff an learn by doing is, an has always been my way.
    I always feel better after.
    Army Grunt
    "Be who you are, say what you will, those that matter wont mind, those that mind don't matter".

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Yep, the best way to learn is doing it; been operating them for years and still learning.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

Platinum Member

University of hard knooks,best education there isDave

Tractor
    Kubota L2800HST w/Frontloader & CC LTX1046

Hands on still the best way..give it heck and enjoy.

Tractor
    John Deere 770

Looking forward to seeing some pictures.

I just moved 12yds. of loam with my jd770. Rebuilt a portion of my lawn and filled in where some stumps were chipped out. I enjoy hand raking but, with a tractor and a rake I thought to myself....there's got to be an easier way.

Hooked up the rake and gained experience as I went along. Finished product came out beautiful.

I might add that I have used the rear blade for grading and that is a great tool, as well.

Good luck with your project.
    JD770 '92 4x4 SMC FEL JD Ballast Box 6' CountyLine Back Blade 6' CountyLine Rake CountyLine CarryAll
    64" Frontier Snowblower

Favorite Color....Green

The sky was yellow and the sun was blue.

Tractor
    Kubota MX5000

When it come to tractors and horses do your learning carefully, either will kill you quickly if not paying attention.

Tractor
    Kubota L3540HST-1

Thanks everyone for the encouragement! Here are the pics that I promised. The first ones are the before pictures when I first got started. The previous drive was a straight shot from the cul-de-sac up to the house. The new one is curved. The first step was to remove the top soil.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_1314-jpg   -img_1315-jpg  
    Thomas (aka Kubota Tee)

Kubota L3540 with LA724 FEL.,HD Bucket with bolt on cutting edge, Custom FEL Forks, Taylor Way 7' box blade, 6' gill rake, Custom Tree Scoop, 6' Woods finish mower, custom FEL attached snow plow.

Tractor
    Kubota L3540HST-1

The next step was to build up the base with fill (mostly sand) to make a nice gentle slope from the house down the cul-de-sac. Then I moved the road gravel from the old driveway to the new one and finally had some crushed concrete spread on top.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_1570-jpg   -img_1571-jpg   -img_1569-jpg   -img_1572-jpg  
    Thomas (aka Kubota Tee)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast