Best way to learn = do!

/ Best way to learn = do! #1  

Kubota Tee

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 HSTC-3, Kubota L3540HST-3 (sold)
I purchased my new Kubota L3540 back in January and didn't get much of a chance to use it until the snow melted. Sure, I played with it in the snow a bit, but the real work was planned to begin when the weather turned a bit warmer.

Now that the weather is nice, I have been taking full advantage of this new machine to install a 300' driveway. This involved first scraping all the top soil off and piling it up. I then replaced the top soil with fill (mostly sand mixture) and brought it up to the desired grade level. I probably moved 500 yards of fill material to create the grade that was needed. I then started the process of moving the road gravel off of an existing driveway onto the new driveway. This involved a lot of scraping, piling and FEL work to move 6" of road gravel for the 12' wide x 300' long drive.

I did end up running short with the road gravel since the old driveway was straight and new one is curved, so I had about 30ton of crushed concrete brought out and dumped evenly on the whole length. Didn't take too much grading work after that to get it just right.

I am now in the process of balancing the site on both sides of the new drive which involves a lot of grading and FEL work. In some areas, there is a 2' grade difference between the new driveway and old grade. I have pictures that I will be posting soon so you can see the magnitude of the work that has been done. I have about 40+ hours into this project. I probably could have hired this project out and have it completed in 1 day, but I couldn't image a better way to learn all the operations of my new tractor and the finer points of using the box blade and FEL bucket.

/ Best way to learn = do! #3  
Good on ya. I do a lot of stuff an learn by doing is, an has always been my way.
I always feel better after.
Army Grunt

/ Best way to learn = do! #4  
Yep, the best way to learn is doing it; been operating them for years and still learning.

/ Best way to learn = do! #5  
University of hard knooks,best education there is:thumbsup:Dave

/ Best way to learn = do! #6  
Hands on still the best way..give it heck and enjoy. :)

/ Best way to learn = do! #7  
Looking forward to seeing some pictures.

I just moved 12yds. of loam with my jd770. Rebuilt a portion of my lawn and filled in where some stumps were chipped out. I enjoy hand raking but, with a tractor and a rake I thought to myself....there's got to be an easier way.

Hooked up the rake and gained experience as I went along. Finished product came out beautiful.

I might add that I have used the rear blade for grading and that is a great tool, as well.

Good luck with your project.

/ Best way to learn = do! #8  
When it come to tractors and horses do your learning carefully, either will kill you quickly if not paying attention.

/ Best way to learn = do!
Thanks everyone for the encouragement! Here are the pics that I promised. The first ones are the before pictures when I first got started. The previous drive was a straight shot from the cul-de-sac up to the house. The new one is curved. The first step was to remove the top soil.

Attachments

• IMG_1314.jpg
    IMG_1314.jpg
    606.4 KB · Views: 510
  • IMG_1315.jpg
    IMG_1315.jpg
    959.4 KB · Views: 533
   / Best way to learn = do!
The next step was to build up the base with fill (mostly sand) to make a nice gentle slope from the house down the cul-de-sac. Then I moved the road gravel from the old driveway to the new one and finally had some crushed concrete spread on top.

Attachments

• IMG_1570.jpg
    IMG_1570.jpg
    796.4 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_1571.jpg
    IMG_1571.jpg
    818.3 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_1569.jpg
    IMG_1569.jpg
    900.2 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_1572.jpg
    IMG_1572.jpg