Rotary Cutter Too Big For Tractor?

/ Rotary Cutter Too Big For Tractor? #1  

davey4000

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4320, NH TC29D
I have a Bush Hog 286 that I run off my JD 48 hp tractor. I also have a NH 29D with 25 hp at the PTO. I know the ratings, but wondered if I'm taking a terrible chance of damaging my NH by using the BH286 off it. The work will be light. The JD is not in the right place at the moment.

/ Rotary Cutter Too Big For Tractor? #2  
Is that a 6 ft cutter? 5 to 6 ft is what most people would run behind 25 PTOhp. Just take it easy and you should have no problem.

/ Rotary Cutter Too Big For Tractor? #3  
6' is a lil bag for that tractor.. but if the grass is low.. or you take smaller bites if needed.. should be ok. if you can maintain rpms and not lug the tractor.. it will be ok.

soundguy

/ Rotary Cutter Too Big For Tractor? #4  
I had rather see a 5 ft behind you. If that JD unit is a 3 point model, you may be light in the front end, when you raise it up? Ken Sweet

/ Rotary Cutter Too Big For Tractor? #5  
if you check the bush hog site you will see the 286 is the 6' 3pt model.. a 285 would be a 5' 3pt model.

soundguy

/ Rotary Cutter Too Big For Tractor? #6  
Worst case is you'll be taking partial width passes or going pretty slow....I'd do it.
I've got a 60" cutter that was pulled behind a 16.5 PTO HP tractor (when I first got the cutter). Brush was thick and tall, and yes, it was both slow going and quite a few partial passes...but it worked.

Ken Sweet has a good point about the weight of the cutter...suggest you heed that warning.

Last edited:
   / Rotary Cutter Too Big For Tractor? #7  
I have a NH - TC-29D and a Bush Hog brand Bush Hog RZ60 - Razorback and it is 5' and when I was mowing 14 Ac. or 3 to 4 foot tall fescue and brush last weekend it bogged down my tractor several times and I had to lift the bush hog and go forward and in the thicker grass take smaller bites .and I was mowing in the thickest grass in 2nd speed and 2nd gear..when it got thinner I could go to 3rd gear...but no way could I have mowed with a 6 ft. like I use with my JD 3020...unless I was mowing high and taking small bites and then it is not worth it...best stick with 5 ft or mow high and take small bites.

/ Rotary Cutter Too Big For Tractor? #8  
I don't see the huge benefit in mowing high.. you are still cutting hte same volume of grass.. just cutting it in a different place. IMHO.. taking smaller bites / lower ground speed is the real ticket.

soundguy

/ Rotary Cutter Too Big For Tractor? #9  
I don't see the huge benefit in mowing high.. you are still cutting hte same volume of grass.. just cutting it in a different place. IMHO.. taking smaller bites / lower ground speed is the real ticket.

soundguy

This pasture I was cutting has Tall Fescue that has been established for over 40 yrs..it is really, really thick stuff in some spots...so as I was going along cutting , when the tractor bogged down I would raise the bush hog up a few inches to clear it and then go back down and take a smaller bite. I would then eventually try to go back to a full bite and then if it bogged down I would have to raise it to clear it and return to the smaller bite..but once I got out of the real thick and high grass I was good to go in 3rd gear 2nd speed...the razorback is a mulching bush hog...the deck is enclosed all the way around so it builds up material in real heavy grass but I agree with you - the best practice in normal grass with a regular bush hog is smaller bites and lower ground speed.

/ Rotary Cutter Too Big For Tractor? #10  
You will not tear up either the bush hog or tractor as long as you don't do anything crazy. My MX-6 calls for 30hp on the pto. 25hp should work for your 286 as long as you are doing light work. Your biggest problem may be having a light front end on your tractor!! :D