Ear Protection plus radio ..just in time..

/ Ear Protection plus radio ..just in time.. #1  

GarageSmoker

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3010 HST
Football season in full swing.. found a sale on Peltor Worktunes (combination ear protection and AM/FM radio) for $53.25. Their ad said good until 8/31 but since the web still shows it they sold it to me for that price. Saw some other sites at $59 and one for $150 if you can believe that.

Here is the link. Sorry for the PDF file but that is the link.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.safetyservicesinc.com/SPRING_SUMMER_5_2.pdf>Sale</A>

GS

/ Ear Protection plus radio ..just in time.. #2  
I hope yours work better than mine do. I've been very disappointed in the AM side. Of course, I prefer listening to AM for ESPN radio, etc., and it's almost impossible. The FM reception is OK, but the AM reception is just terrible. I can turn the unit 90 degrees and completely lose the signal. I'm talking about a high wattage station with their tower within 10-12 miles of me, too. I've taken these with me all over town and there's no difference in the reception based on my location, either.

I've been reluctant to return mine as they were a birthday gift from my son and daughter. Let me know how yours work out for you when you get them. Maybe I've just got a bad set here.

Meanwhile, I'm going to check into some of the little "ear bud" systems with hearing protection over them and the radio in my pocket.

/ Ear Protection plus radio ..just in time..
I hope that doesn't happen. It doesn't seem like it could happen, does it, with an antenna poking up like that.

I'll certainly post results. Florida versus Miami on Saturday and Bucs opener on Sunday. It will get a test.

BTW, with the tractor operating at PTO speed, when the radio station *IS* coming in.. do you hear the music or whatever good enough to understand and enjoy it?

GS

/ Ear Protection plus radio ..just in time.. #4  
I have this radio / noise surpressor and really like it. As I change directions when listening to some AM stations, the reception will either increase or decrease, but that is no different than AM reception in general. I can move a standard AM/FM kitchen radio from one room to another in my home and have totally different AM reception in each room (including no usable reception at all in some rooms). The same is true with AM reception in my car or truck. The signal does not remain uniformly strong as I drive in different directions. AM is a very directional signal and small AM antennas don't allow for much lee-way.

On the other hand, the FM reception is excellent and that is what I listen to most of the time. When you are picking up a good signal, it is not difficult to hear what is being said or sung. The tractor and implement sounds are "surpressed" but not gone. You can still easily hear the engine respond to changing load but it is just quieter and "in the background." The radio reception is "in the foreground" so most of what your mind absorbs is radio.

One day I mowed hills for almost 7 straight hours and had the radio on all the time. It was very pleasant and made the time pass quickly. I did not feel that my alertness to machine function or terrain conditions was diminished.

I do find 2 things bothersome about the radio. First, there is a single push button that serves both as an "On-Off" switch and as a toggle between AM and FM. It works based on how long or short you hold the button down. I find it takes me 2 or 3 tries to get what I want since the timing is critical. One time I thought I had it turned OFF but it was really ON and tuned to a frequency that had no reception and the batteries ran down. A second issue is that you cannot wear a cap or hat with the radio since the head band is quite wide and there is an antenna sticking up from it. I do have a canopy on the tractor so this is really a minor issue for me.

Overall, I am quite satisfied and would make the purchase again.

Jack

/ Ear Protection plus radio ..just in time.. #5  
Ditto!

/ Ear Protection plus radio ..just in time.. #6  
<font color=blue>Meanwhile, I'm going to check into some of the little "ear bud" systems with hearing protection over them and the radio in my pocket.</font color=blue>

Check the following link to Westone Laboratories and their Style #26</font color=red>. These are for use with the Walkman type earbuds. Also they should provide enough hearing protection for tractor use without needing the muffs over the top.

You will need a set of impressions of your ears from an Audiologist. The set of plugs should run about $100 plus the earbuds.

Jack

/ Ear Protection plus radio ..just in time.. #7  
Jack,

I did the exact same thing with the on/off/band button. I never thought of the hat issue, though. My main concern is that the AM reception is just TERRIBLE. I agree the FM seems fine, but when you prefer AM that's hardly important. The main reason I went with this brand is it was the one I found with AM. Everything else was FM only.

My AM goes from decent to zero with a 90 degree turn and it doesn't seem to matter whether I'm in town or at the farm. Would you say yours is any better than that?

/ Ear Protection plus radio ..just in time.. #8  
<font color=blue>A second issue is that you cannot wear a cap or hat with the radio </font color=blue>
I put the headphones on over top of my hat. No problems.

Re: AM reception...The 2 strong stations in my area, each about 15 miles away, come in fine, although the strentgh fluctuates with tractor direction changes but the signal never disappears. The weaker AM stations do disappear. The same thing happens with a separate, portable radio that I used to use. Poor AM reception.

/ Ear Protection plus radio ..just in time.. #9  
Gary,

The AM reception I get depends on the specific AM station, my location relative to the station, and the time of day. I would say the AM reception on the earphone set is not quite as good as AM reception in my car or truck, but close. In my vehicles, AM reception can easily drop significantly just by turning a street corner. AM is best when you can have a stationary receiver that is located "just right." That is part of the reason that FM became so popular in car and truck radios.

I doubt that your unit is faulty based on the description of its behavior, but it may be. Why not try it out at some other location where there is a different AM station. Good Luck!

Jack

/ Ear Protection plus radio ..just in time.. #10  
Gary,

I have the same problem with my AM. I listen to football/gameday on Sunday's (ESPN radio) and baseball every other day. The AM signal up in the mountains at my house stinks. What is worse at about 8:30 - 9:00 pm the signal goes out completely. Always happens during the 8th or 9th inning of the baseball game. Does anyone have any ideas on how to boost am signals?