Mowing Worst thing run over with a mower

/ Worst thing run over with a mower #11  
It would be a tossup between the bowling ball my neighbor's kid tossed over the fence that I found with the brush hog, and sent back to the neighbor via the new opening in his garage wall, and, mowing over a ground wasp nest on a wheel horse mower. A wheel horse 12hp will outrun a nest of irritated ground wasps, mostly. Raid will solve the nest problem, when I shoveled it open a few days later it was the size of a peach basket. I have no idea what happened to the ants who ate the wasps.

/ Worst thing run over with a mower #12  
I offered to let my wrecker driver buddy drive my 8N one day. He declined, said his girlfriend would freak out if he got on a tractor. The story was her dad was shredding some acreage he owned when he ran into some barbed wire someone had left in the field when they restrung the fenceline. The shredder wrapped up the fence wire and the loose end whirled around and pierced his chest and his heart. It killed him.

/ Worst thing run over with a mower #13  
Things that come to mind with Bush hog:
baseball... hit it so hard the fluff came out of the wrap.
copperhead... no explanation needed.
Good chain... that was fun untangling.
old fence wire... more fun than chain.
concrete blocks... KABOOM
multiple bumble bee nests in the same day.... ouch.
baling twine... more fun than wire.

with the tiller:
baling twine.... #$@%@#$%not this again!!
old buried tire.... thought I blew the tiller up.
concrete blocks... KABOOM again.
big tree roots... 'bout the same as the tire.

That's about all... Now you know why I wish I had a heavier cutter. (see squealer thread)

/ Worst thing run over with a mower #14  
Dog chain..and it wrap around both new mower blades,and I was mowing in third gear. /w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif

Didn't hurt the chain but I needed to new blades and a wheel for the mower deck. /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif

/ Worst thing run over with a mower #15  
barbed wire -- as so many have -- and more than once my own hat - see pic - but NEVER a skunk and NEVER want to! YUK!
mike

/ Worst thing run over with a mower #16  
When we first bought our land my father inlaw let me use his 8n to mow it. I had never been on a tractor before and on my first pass around the field I ran over a fawn. Pretty tramatic for a city kid who's only experience with ground meat was from the store.

/ Worst thing run over with a mower #17  
This past weekend I used my new KK 60" rotary mower on my field that was 5 foot high. This was the first time that I have ever used a brush hog, so I was going slowly. I back into a bush to clear it out and something come running out from under the mower. I was about 7 " round and was moving. I shutdown and grab it and it was a turtle. I had run over him with the mower/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif. I picked him up and gave him a once over. aside from chipping the edge of his shell just above his rear legs. he was fine ! Man are those shells hard! I put him into our pond and neither one of us was the worse for wear.....

/ Worst thing run over with a mower #18  
Both of these incedents happened when I was a teenager. I ran over a coathanger and didn't know it. I heard a small noise and a tickle on my arm. I didn't even look. In about five minutes I was covered with blood. I looked around for the source and a 4 inch piece of the coathanger was in my arm with only an inch sticking out.

This incedent happened while mowing but had nothing to do with the mower. I was mowing under some oak trees at the edge of the field when the muffler of our Farmall 140 hit a low tree limb. It knocked a 5 foot rat snake into my lap. The snake fared much better than my underwear!

Eugene

/ Worst thing run over with a mower #19  
I live on a 48 acre private lake. The homeowners assoc.l bought 75 grass carp about 10 years ago to help control the milfoil. Those suckers now weigh about 30 to 40 lbs lbs and can get up to 75lbs I'm told, they are at least three feet long. You can't catch them on a pole cause they don't eat "bait," just salad. The neibhbor kids shoot at them with bow and arrows and .22's. That 's how we think one ended up on the back side of the dam last year in August. My neighbor ran over it with an 8n and brushhog. He said it was the most God Awful smell he's ever smelled. Drove the Tractor back to the shop gagging, tears streaming all the way fast as he could. He Pressured washed the brushhog and tractor but said you could still smell it weeks later. Sorry, I don't have any pictures.

/ Worst thing run over with a mower #20  
Hit a dead raccoon that the dog left in the yard with a rear finish mower once. The grass was a little high and I didn't notice it there, heard a puff sound and saw the fur flying when I looked back! Boy did that stink! It was dead for about a week and full of magots. By the next time I cut the grass it was nothing but skin and bones. But a dead raccoon beats a live skunk any day! At least I could still use the tractor after that one!