Mowing Frustrated

/ Frustrated #1  

chaparral

Just purchased new Toro Timecutter ZTR, 50 inch deck with Kawasaki 24 hp engine. After engaging PTO, blades started turning but it made a terrible squealing sound. After a quick inspection, I discovered one of the blades was loose. I attempted to tighten but it was already tight. I removed the blade and discovered there was a washer missing. I called the dealer and of course...they didn't have one in stock and will take 3-5 days to get in. I hope this fixes the problem. I did a lot of research on which mower would give me the most bang for the buck. I'm anxious to see if I made a good choice but I'm dead in the water for about a week. Very frustrating...

/ Frustrated #2  
Just purchased new Toro Timecutter ZTR, 50 inch deck with Kawasaki 24 hp engine. After engaging PTO, blades started turning but it made a terrible squealing sound. After a quick inspection, I discovered one of the blades was loose. I attempted to tighten but it was already tight. I removed the blade and discovered there was a washer missing. I called the dealer and of course...they didn't have one in stock and will take 3-5 days to get in. I hope this fixes the problem. I did a lot of research on which mower would give me the most bang for the buck. I'm anxious to see if I made a good choice but I'm dead in the water for about a week. Very frustrating...

That is a pain for sure. Do you why it did not make the sound at the dealers? They do not get shipped ready for the end user to start using.

/ Frustrated
The dealer was suppose to check everything out on the mower prior to delivery. I'm thinking if they engaged the PTO on concrete, it may not have made the noise like it did when trying to cut grass??? I'm not sure.

/ Frustrated #4  
I wouldn't wait a week for a washer. Pull the washer off the other blade, take it to the hardware store, and have at it.
-Jay

/ Frustrated #5  
I wouldn't wait a week for a washer. Pull the washer off the other blade, take it to the hardware store, and have at it.
-Jay

What he said.My Timecutter has been a great mower for 6? years. The heavy washers holding the blades on look to be nothing more than the heavy "aviation" style washers, sometimes known as "hard" or "fixturing" washers.Available locally probably, and definitely from someone like McMaster-Carr.Annoying to have to do this for a new machine, however given the choice - I wouldn't wait a week for a hard washer.

/ Frustrated
I plan to make a trip to the hardware store tomorrow. I was thinking this may be an OEM part...it's called a curved washer. I'll take one in and see if I can match it up. Thanks for the advice.

/ Frustrated #7  
I plan to make a trip to the hardware store tomorrow. I was thinking this may be an OEM part...it's called a curved washer. I'll take one in and see if I can match it up. Thanks for the advice.

I would have had the dealer have it shipped UPS Red (next day). A washer doesn't cost that much to ship overnight. Something like that, my Deere dealer would have done it without question and paid the freight costs himself.

/ Frustrated #8  
"The dealer was suppose to check everything out on the mower prior to delivery...."

Ding, ding, ding......

Yes, not to bemoan dealers, but a lot of things that are supposed to happen don't necessarily do here. I ultimately trust myself to make sure it's good-to-go regardless of what I'm told on things like this. Some are really good, but others not so much.

/ Frustrated #9  
I would think most lawn mower shops that sell blades would have a washer for this.