swap turf for R4 - Rolling Circumference??

/ swap turf for R4 - Rolling Circumference?? #1  

hazmat

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L5460HSTC
I have R4's on my TC18. I got them because they seemed to be a good comprimise between traction & tearing up the lawn. I didn't want to mess with chains in the winter or dirt. Well, after 60 hours of use, I think I made the wrong choice. I have a few areas in my lawn that are tight to manuver around (requiring tight turns) and also steep (requiring 4WD). This combination results in turf damage caused mostly by the outer front tire. The rears don't do damage unless I forget to use 4wd & try to back up a hill.

I am running 12psi in the front & 10 psi in the rear (loaded). I mow without the FEL. I think my soil is sandy loam (definitely not clay).

I am considering two options. 1. ask/beg dealer to swap tires to turf. 2. Buy turf tires for front.

I am leaning towards option 2, to get the best of both worlds at minimum cost. I know I have to match the rolling circumference of the OEM R-4's if I keep the R-4 Rears.

My R-4's are Bridgestone Fast Grips Front size 23X8.5-12 Rear size 12 X 16.5. I have not been able to find out what the rolling circumfrence is for these tires. Does anybody have the factory specs or know where to get them? I've tried Bridgestone's web site.

I also am not sure how to calculate it. From what I understand it depends on the weight on the tire & the psi. Can I simply measure the static loaded radius and multiply by 2pi? Can it be adjusted using air pressure.

I've found some turfs of the "same size" that I am considering.
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.titanstore.com/store/turf_golf.html> Titan Turfs 6ply </A>

Also, can I get rears that are the same size as well (possible future investment)?

/ swap turf for R4 - Rolling Circumference?? #2  
Mark the tire with a grease spot or paint marking. Roll the tire and measure between marks left on the road/floor.

/ swap turf for R4 - Rolling Circumference??
<font color=blue> Mark the tire with a grease spot or paint marking. Roll the tire and measure between marks left on the road/floor. </font color=blue>

What no calculator involved?/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

I assume I should do it with the tire on the tractor to get the measurement under load.

Thanks for the tip.

OK, Next question. Assuming they are a match. Any tips on breaking the bead to swap the tires out? I know to use a ratchet strap to reseat them (have to do this on my dad's snowblower every so often).

If they are a success, I will probably purchase wheels too, so I can have easy on / easy off switching.

/ swap turf for R4 - Rolling Circumference?? #5  
<font color=blue>Any tips on breaking the bead to swap the tires out? </font color=blue>

Ideally, 2 metal rings with the IO slightly large than the rim, and 4 big c-clamps. I suppose you could get the same effect by using a couple of pieces of 2x4 and c-clamps.

/ swap turf for R4 - Rolling Circumference?? #6  
<font color=blue> I think I made the wrong choice. I have a few areas in my lawn that are tight to manuver around (requiring tight turns) and also steep (requiring 4WD). This combination results in turf damage caused mostly by the outer front tire. The rears don't do damage unless I forget to use 4wd & try to back up a hill.</font color=blue>

Hi Hazmat,

I was doing a bit of thinking about your turf damage problem. I realized that I'm a bit careful with turns with my R-4s. I sometimes back up to make a non-marring turn. I think there is some trade-offs with the R-4s, but I wouldn't do without them. You still can't make turns with turfs at full speed. Turfs will slide more on the front then R-4s. Also keep in mind the 4WD. Turfs aren't going to grip like those R-4s.

All this being said the decision is yours. Just remember there is a small trade off for everything. Believe me, Hazmat I've been mowing grass forever it seems. Although this is my first compact. Good Luck, I hope things work out for you, Buddy.

Kent

Kent,

Thanks for the back up turn tip. I'll give it a shot. You might have saved me some $$$.

My previous tractor, a John Deere garden tractor, had turfs. I caused damage with that one by spinning the rears. Never had the front end do any damage. But then again, it had twice the turning radius and no power steering! The TC is easier to get around.

/ swap turf for R4 - Rolling Circumference?? #8  
Hey Hazmat,

I'm glad, that I could help. We've got the same tractor. Sometime I back up twice to make a turn. You can't make fast turns sometimes. Overall the the R-4s will keep us out of trouble. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Kent

/ swap turf for R4 - Rolling Circumference?? #9  
You might also want to check the fronts alinement. Maybe a little toe in/out could fix some of the problem.

/ swap turf for R4 - Rolling Circumference?? #10  
Disclaimer: This is my opinion, based upon my experience with my older Kubota B7100 with a set of Ag tires/wheels and turf tires/wheels.

In tight turns using 4wd, turf damage occurs regardless of which set of tires I use. Therefore, I believe that if you spend $$$ on a new set of tires and/or wheels, you'll be disappointed with the turf damage that still occurs.

Kelvin