JD 513 eating sheer bolts

/ JD 513 eating sheer bolts #1  

rstcso

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4310
The first time I turned on the pto on my 4310 with the 513 cutter attached, the sheer bolt sheered. The cutter was raised off the ground and idle set low. Since then (about 15 hours total run time, maybe 2 hours shredding), I have gone through about a dozen sheer bolts. Not once have the cutters come in contact with anything harder than a dirt clod (although it hasn't rained in a while and the grass/weeds are pretty tough). I called the dealer a minute ago and he didn't have any ideas, but the main person I needed to talk to was gone for the day. I'm heading to the dealer now to buy another dozen bolts. Anybody have any ideas what may be happening and if I'm doing something wrong? I've used shredders for years without sheering one. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

/ JD 513 eating sheer bolts #2  
I have a 513 and I have used it a lot and on plenty of heavy stuff.................never had a shear bolt fail.....but the deck housing took lots of reinforcement(after I bought it) to make it durable.
Sounds to me like you might have a problem in the gearbox......

John Miller might have an answer.....

/ JD 513 eating sheer bolts #3  
I agree with you. I bought extra shear bolts when I got my cutter and have yet to break one and I have run over stuff I never should have run over. I may have the exact opposite problem now that i think about it!

GS

/ JD 513 eating sheer bolts #4  
I can't see the gear box causing you problem, but you might take the input shaft and turn it by hand to check for binding, or excessive play in the gears. Might also make sure the driveshaft is not bent.

I think they're selling you the wrong shear bolts. Something is definitely wrong when it shears with the deck raised and no load to speak of. Ask the dealer if he has a bolt with higher tensile strenght in the size that fits your appication.

Dave Perry

/ JD 513 eating sheer bolts
When the sheer bolt is sheered, the cutters and gearbox turn freely. Initially, I thought the sheer bolt that came with the unit was too soft, but when the replacement ones did the same thing, I didn't know what to think. The bolts are marked 8.8 and the manual calls for a bolt of 8.8 hardness. They are JD bolts. Thanks for the input.

/ JD 513 eating sheer bolts #6  
Maybe the PTO clutch is too aggressive and needs some attention. I don't know if this is possible or feasible, but you seem to have the rotary cutter end covered pretty well. Does it seem to engage aggressively? Is it e-hydro, and is there an electronic setting that needs to be adjusted? Just some thoughts.

/ JD 513 eating sheer bolts #7  
Hmmm,,,that's a puzzler. 8.8 bolt should definitely be strong enough. Maybe a bad batch of bolts (it's been known to happen, especially nowdays with global parts sourcing).

Might try a bolt from a different supplier. Or get with the dealer and tell him to get to the bottom of it. You can't be changing shear boilts every 15 min.

Good luck,
Dave

/ JD 513 eating sheer bolts #8  
Could it be a problem with the blades or how they are hooked on the stump jumper (binding, off balance, wrong blades)? Bad U-joint on the pto shaft?

Just a couple thoughts. That's a pretty odd problem.

/ JD 513 eating sheer bolts #9  
Lets see, new tractor and new cutter. Kind of sounds like there must be some kind of bind in the PTO shaft. Did the dealer set up the PTO and cut it to length? Could it be to long and not have enough free play to move in and out with out binding?

MarkV

/ JD 513 eating sheer bolts #10  
I've used my 513 cutter for a year and a half now and have only sheared a couple of bolts. Each was due to hitting things I shouldn't have. From your description, I'd suspect too much impact at start up (clutch engagement) or too small a bolt. Mine bolts fit pretty snugly. Maybe your holes are oversized or egged out for some reason? Hope you get it fixed soon /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif