Any suggestions on making my own front loader bucket clamp on hay spear?

/ Any suggestions on making my own front loader bucket clamp on hay spear? #1  

cmharcou

Any suggestions on making my own front loader bucket clamp on hay spear?

/ Any suggestions on making my own front loader bucket clamp on hay spear? #2  
After a few revisions of forks that I managed to find sufficient stress moving stumps and rocks to break I welded 1/4" walled 2.5" square tubing inside the bucket running from the front to the back of the bottom lid of the bucket. I placed 3 of these across the bottom lip, one centered and two at standard fork lift widths. I made 4' forks out of 1/4" walled 2" square tubing and shorter 1 foot versions that can be mounted either flush with the front of the bucket or out 6" to act as teeth. I used 5/8th " bolts as pins to hold the forks in. Everything is the same dimension as a trailer hitch receiver.

The short forks work well as teeth to dig with. Even when they are in they stiffen the bucket. Having 3 forks is useful for moving brush, logs and rocks. I have tested and was able to move round bales with the center fork. I also have installed a trailer hitch mount and ball in the center posisition to move trailers around.

/ Any suggestions on making my own front loader bucket clamp on hay spear? #3  
If you have a QA. I would do a QA spear rather than the clamp on. It allows you to get the weight back closer to the loader arms. Also no stress on the bottom of the bucket.

/ Any suggestions on making my own front loader bucket clamp on hay spear? #4  
I've been wrestling with this same question. After talking to dealers, handy fellers, etc I don't think it's a good idea. I do not have QA but will get a separate spear mount attachment vs attaching to the bucket.

It's tempting, but I've been convinced I'll ruin the bucket.

I'm sure you could do it, but you'd have to really make a strong bracket to spread the stress and protect the bucket. Plus, as noted, the spear gets really far out front of the bucket and away from the loader arms.

Let us know what you decide though.

Good luck.

/ Any suggestions on making my own front loader bucket clamp on hay spear? #5  
First hand experience. It "can" work but will require a lot of reinforcement gussetts etc. IMO it's cheaper and easier in the long run to purchase or fabricate a standalone bale spear attachment. As far as experience I've managed to bend two buckets on two different tractors even with reinforcement. It's not the weight that's the problem but the twisting torque on the edge of the bucket that usually bends them.

Good luck.