1971? Fiat no brakes?

/ 1971? Fiat no brakes? #1  

Timaay

Tractor
Dad's Fiat & Lamborghini
:newhere:

Hi all. First post, thought i'd say hi and ask a few questions. I'm not sure I'm in the right section, but here goes...

My Father-in-law has a Small Fiat tractor. It was bought new in 1971, I am unsure of the actual build date. He says its a Fiat 500. I have searched alot to find there is not much on the 500, but there is on a 445. It looks like a 445, also a 500 in google search. They look very similar.

At the moment i am re-making the accelerator/clutch/brake shaft mechanism and pedal bushes, as 39years with limited grease = alot of wear.:laughing: I am making a whole new shaft, bushes etc.

Now from what he has told me, He said it has not had brakes in years.

When we pulled the rear wheel off to get the pedal shaft out, i was expecting a drum brake of some sort. But No!

Does anyone know how hard to fix they are?
Are they adjustable in the diff/gearbox? or are they in the rear arms somehow?
Does anyone have a diagram on how it works?
:confused:

I am a complete noob with tractors. However, I'm very mechanical minded so i'm not scared in pulling it apart.

Any answers would be great!

This Fiat is a very similar to what i'm talking about. Even has the original tyres like that pic!! :laughing:
116213d1229099386-fiat-anyone-u-445.jpeg

/ 1971? Fiat no brakes? #2  
Good Morning. Can't help with your problem but I can say "welcome"!:D

Have you tried any of the antique tractor sites?

/ 1971? Fiat no brakes?
G'day!

Yes i thought it would be morning! Its 10.48pm here in Sydney!:laughing:

I have not tried the antique section if your refering to that, as i thought i would post in 1 section 1st! Multiple posts in 1 forum about the same thing is generally a no no.... Correct?
I was also unsure if a 70's mod was antique/vintage?!?

I think i posted this in the wrong section anyway, As it should of been in Parts and Repairs, Not Owning and Operating! Doh!:confused2:

/ 1971? Fiat no brakes?
Thanks!

I have emailed them, Now awaiting on a reply.:thumbsup:

I am unsure how often they look at the site, looks old... So we'll see.

/ 1971? Fiat no brakes? #6  
Fiat? doesn't that stand for, Fix It Again Tony?

Sorry, couldn't resist!

/ 1971? Fiat no brakes?
:laughing: Yes. Guess my father-in-laws name! Very fitting. But he has never fixed it until now since new! Very good tractor!:)

I didnt know that slogan until searching on this site. :laughing:

/ 1971? Fiat no brakes? #8  
Good sport. We used to throw these things around when I was a kid hanging around auto shops.

Here's a better one:
Why do the Brits drink warm beer? Cause they use Lucas refrigerators!

How about BM trouble you.

/ 1971? Fiat no brakes?
Just the same as their Luca's rovers eh? :laughing:

BM trouble?:confused:

/ 1971? Fiat no brakes? #10  
G'day i have just been talking to my boss about this (was a fiat agent for many years ) and he tells me that you have to take the axle housing off at the diff and then you will see the brakes, they are a band around a drum and apparently the seal leaks ( designed weepage from fiat ) there is a small drain on the bottom that blocks up and fills the housing with oil, Bare co do replacement brake bands for these and i think seals if they don't then go to your local seal joint do not use genuine as these will continue to weep. Have you tried to adjust it there is an adjuster where the linkage goes into the diff. Hope this helps

Jon