3pt question

/ 3pt question #1  

lakngulf

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30
The bottom two arms of my 3pt hitch have a pin and slots that allow the arms to swing out and in; I assume all have this. Most of the holes are round, and the pin fits snugly in top and bottom hole. But toward the back the top piece has a rectangle slot, and if the pins are put in these the arms are free to move a bit.

My question: Which implements benefit from this movement? I was bushhogging on a hill yesterday, the pins were in the moveable slots, and I notice the bush hog "moved" down the hill as I drove. It worked ok but made me wonder if I had the pins in the right hole or not.

/ 3pt question #2  
Its your call if you want to let the rear attachment move around.

Usually the slots are for a less rigid hold on the attachment, and for your convenience. It might be to just let you have some movement when attaching the attachment, and not having to pull the pins each time (one reason I use the quick hitch, like the iMatch).

A swinging drawbar is useful for pulling some ground engaging equipment, as it allows for easier turning when plowing, discing, or dragging.

So, bottom line, whatever suits your fancy as you use the different attachments. No firm benefits for individual implements, I'd say.

/ 3pt question #3  
Pretty much agree with "beenthere", I like a little play in all my implements as when I was farming I saw equipment damage from turning with ground engaged implement. How much play is going to depend to a certain extent on the individual, but too much swinging around can be a safety issue.

/ 3pt question #4  
If you have an owner's manual it may indicate specifics on this - mine has a section that tells what implements should have some play - of course it always good to go by these folks on TBN that have actual experience too

/ 3pt question #5  
If you have an owner's manual it may indicate specifics on this - mine has a section that tells what implements should have some play - of course it always good to go by these folks on TBN that have actual experience too

Agreed, the Manual should always be checked. Now I don't always go by it, but if I screw something up then it's my fault. I believe manuals would be much more relevant/useful if the writers did not have to be overseen and approved by lawyers.

/ 3pt question #6  
My own preference is to use the slots for ground-engaging and holes for the brush hog and the pallet forks. Letting the forks slide around in the slots can get interesting when you've got a couple thousand pounds on a pallet! For ground engaging tasks, the slots let the implement bounce around rocks (they grow like weeds) rather than transferring all of the shock load to the lift arms sideways.

-rus-

/ 3pt question #7  
What rus_geek said is that hands-on experience i was talking about - and yes TripleR, many times manuals, safety warnings, limitations, etc. are the work of lawyers and insurance companies just making sure they cover their butts...

/ 3pt question #8  
Or also to keep us using our machines more mildly to keep warranty repairs at a minimum...

/ 3pt question #9  
Or also to keep us using our machines more mildly to keep warranty repairs at a minimum...

You might be onto something there.

I pretty much agree with "rus geek" on a lot of applications. When I was farming, time was always short and tractors smaller. When I came to the end of the field, it was hit the left brake while lifting the implement, spin around and drop it while moving and let it center while in motion. Anything tight would slow you down and often bend things. Now when cultivating, "before herbicides", you needed tight, precise control or you would wipe out a lot of plants. I also liked tight control on a moldboard plow; seldom used now.

Experience will show you what works best.

/ 3pt question
When I came to the end of the field, it was hit the left brake while lifting the implement, spin around and drop it while moving and let it center while in motion.

When I was a kid my dad kept me home from school one day to disc a field where he was going to plant corn. This was an old allis chalmers tractor with close front tires. He explained to me and showed me the concept you mention above. Hit the left break, turn and lift the disc at the same time. I did fine but quickly forgot to "hit the left break". I front tires turned ok, but the tractor just kept going forward and dug the nicest trench you have ever seen. My dad was not happy, but was patient enough with me to let me continue.