Does anybody REALLY dislike HST?

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #21  
planning to use a snowblower in big storms ...get a hydro or learn how to change the clutch
Most newer gear tractors have 8 to 12 reverse gears. Learn to use the right gear.

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #22  
I have had both types of trans. I have to say this because nobody else has. The HST is much safer IMHO operating on hills. When you are going up or down hills you don't even have to hit the brakes you can mow up to the top and just roll back on the pedal and start back. I know the best way is to mow to the top and turn around and go back down but where I mow and use the tractor its not possible. If you let up on the HST pedal it just stops(may creep a very little). The infinitely variable speeds is valuable when mowing and tilling or when doing close quarters work. Each type has its place and neither is inferior just better suited for a different situations.

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #23  
I like my 790 reasonably well and enjoy gears. But I "really dislike", hate, despise that sliding gear transmission. Grind, grind, grind. I've written about it on TBN. Grind, grind, grind. Can't wait to sell it. Grind, grind, grind. Yes, I really really really dislike it! Grind, grind, grind. Oh why didn't I get an 870? Grind, grind, grind. :(

KLN,

Your sliding gears really resemble the JD 3020, 4020 collar shift description, and they are exactly as you described.

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #24  
I like my 790 reasonably well and enjoy gears. But I "really dislike", hate, despise that sliding gear transmission. Grind, grind, grind. I've written about it on TBN. Grind, grind, grind. Can't wait to sell it. Grind, grind, grind. Yes, I really really really dislike it! Grind, grind, grind. Oh why didn't I get an 870? Grind, grind, grind. :(

Got to learn to slow down and doubleclutch, Bro...
I guess the question should be, you had to know a 790 was a collarshift when you bought it...so why'd you buy it?

I'm pretty good at going from 1st or 2nd to reverse without stopping (entirely), but it does take practice and patience. Did a pretty good job with loader work.

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #25  
Don't mind the gears, and I have to say I've got a lot more hours on gears than on HST. I got quite a few hours on a friends Kubota doing some work around my house and as someone above mentioned, I got no use at all for that treadle - I don't think I could spend enough hours on it to like that. But the tranny seemed strong and responsive enough...

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #27  
Explain, please.??

In big snows with drifts, I have to just creep through big drifts with my 60" blower. A gear drive just couldn't go slow enough. I have enough pto power, but there is just too much snow for the blower to handle.

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #28  
In big snows with drifts, I have to just creep through big drifts with my 60" blower. A gear drive just couldn't go slow enough. I have enough pto power, but there is just too much snow for the blower to handle.

Not even in low range.??

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #29  

My gear tractor has been used to creep through heavy snow for 30+ years, still has the same clutch. Why do so many HST guys refuse to accept the fact that HST isn't perfect for every situation? I don't think many even have gear tractor experience, they just assume. I love HST for mowing my yard, but I would very much dislike it on the farm tractor. They make both for a reason, and people buy both for a reason.

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST?
Maybe they think we're talkin' about Heat Shrink Tubing. Cuz that stuff is awesome.

Either that or the Hubble Space Telescope. That's probably pretty awesome, too.