tractor work priceing

/ tractor work priceing #1  

mike550

Tractor
kubota B3030
i was looking for priceing for my b3030 togo on jobs whith a 5ft rcr18 rotery mower,bucketwork,post hole auring,scraper work boxed or blade spraying
just new name a few just looking for genral rates for b sieries tractos to do for hire work thanx. oh and rototilling:)

/ tractor work priceing #2  
$35-$60 an hour. Your proficiency needs to be in line with those prices. Your area influences as well as attachment size. Why should people hire you?, just because you have a tractor is not good enough. Start out cheap and see how it goes. Hard to make a living at it but is pocket money when you do.

/ tractor work priceing #3  
It all has to do with local market. If you will load your equipment and till someone's 1000 sq ft garden for $80 bucks and I will do it for $40 bucks, I'll get the job. Comparing prices in my market, as apposed to yours, doesn't help you much. Find out what potential clients are paying now and see if you can do it for less money and still make it worth while. That is how any small business works. If you get called next year depends on what kind of job you do. The key is repeat customers.

MarkV

/ tractor work priceing #4  
It all has to do with local market. If you will load your equipment and till someone's 1000 sq ft garden for $80 bucks and I will do it for $40 bucks, I'll get the job. Comparing prices in my market, as apposed to yours, doesn't help you much. Find out what potential clients are paying now and see if you can do it for less money and still make it worth while. That is how any small business works. If you get called next year depends on what kind of job you do. The key is repeat customers.

MarkV

I think MarkV nailed it. There are 3 C's of pricing -- your cost, your customers, and your competition. In my opinion, your first step is to figure out your costs.

Steve

/ tractor work priceing #5  
I find most people want a total cost for doing the full job rather than paying by the hour to do the job. I calculate $35 dollars per hour for my 26 HP tractor. Sometimes I make money sometimes I don't. I do learn from every job and get better at pricing.

/ tractor work priceing #6  
I recently inquired about going rate in my area for clean up. We recently had some weather related damage to a barn and needed to know how much to claim for insurance purposes. According to a local contractor, in my area a tractor and operator bring $65/hr and a skid steer and operator bring $85/hr. This contractor stays busy doing this type of work so I considered him a reliable/accurate source. He did state that if working closer to the coastal areas he saw prices substantially higher.

/ tractor work priceing #7  
I think MarkV nailed it. There are 3 C's of pricing -- your cost, your customers, and your competition. In my opinion, your first step is to figure out your costs.

Steve

Excellent advice!

My biggest factor was "my cost". I had to learn tractor fuel consumption, wear and tear, truck fuel consumption (if trailering to job site), insurance cost, and an accurate estimate of my time. I would rather price myself a little high than do a job for a loss.

More personal experience...most customers you talk to will have money problems. They all cry "poor mouth" even though they live in an expensive home, drive fancy vehicles, and can afford to hire a contractor rather than do the work themselves. Most will try to "jew you down" and claim they can get it done cheaper. My advice is to learn your costs, submit a fair bid and never agree to do a job for a loss. Just my two cents.

/ tractor work priceing #8  
i was looking for priceing for my b3030 togo on jobs whith a 5ft rcr18 rotery mower,bucketwork,post hole auring,scraper work boxed or blade spraying
just new name a few just looking for genral rates for b sieries tractos to do for hire work thanx. oh and rototilling:)

The customers need to know what the total cost is, doesn't matter what equipment you are using. Bid the job such that you can take the time to do it well. The more experience you have the more accurate your bidding will be. Always do a good job for the customer regardless and you will develop repeat customers. It is imperative that your customers are confident in you, and in return you need confidence in them, good customers do their part with the checkbook.

As for pricing in general it is much better to be considered a lttle high but known for doing a good job. Develop or cultivate a customer base who is willing to pay for the quality work, you will make more money and the custormers will be more satisfied. The lesser priced competition can have the cheap jobs, if they do enough of this work they will soon be out of business.

/ tractor work priceing #9  
The customers need to know what the total cost is, doesn't matter what equipment you are using. Bid the job such that you can take the time to do it well. The more experience you have the more accurate your bidding will be. Always do a good job for the customer regardless and you will develop repeat customers. It is imperative that your customers are confident in you, and in return you need confidence in them, good customers do their part with the checkbook.

As for pricing in general it is much better to be considered a lttle high but known for doing a good job. Develop or cultivate a customer base who is willing to pay for the quality work, you will make more money and the custormers will be more satisfied. The lesser priced competition can have the cheap jobs, if they do enough of this work they will soon be out of business.

Right on Steve. You've hit the nail on the head describing the way to business success in this or any other field.

/ tractor work priceing #10  
I would price it by task rather than by hour, for instance my neibhor wanted me to dig some post holes for him with my digger. I charged him 8 bucks a hole, because I have like zero experience and figured i could auger one hole every 5 minutes and I would make serious bank. He wanted 20 holes for a fence. It took me about 6 hours he was happy and i was schooled, got in a hurry and screwed my auger in... I got some learning time on my tractor and next time I dig holes it will go much faster and hopefully be less embarassing.