More brushhogging ????

/ More brushhogging ???? #1  

s1120

Veteran Member
Tractor
87 Ingersoll 444, 84 Ingersoll224/'44 GreavlyL/60'sGreavlyL/49 Ford 8N
Ok sense I am out shopping for a tractor, and a brush hog, I thought I should know how to use it.

I have a lot of saplings in my woods that I want to cut down. Most are about 1in, to 1.5in. Will a brush hog do this? Also do you run into the trees with the tractor to knock them down then mow over them? Or can you back the cutter into them. Seems like you would tear up the tractor running into them.

Any other tips you guys can give me? I don’t have the tractor yet, but it will probably be an older tractor, with out live PTO. I do plan on using an overrunning clutch on it if that’s the case. Thanks for any help, I can use it./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ More brushhogging ????
Here is some of the trees I am talking about... Oh BYW the waters gone now.

Attachments

• 47-191719-Lake-marker.jpg
    47-191719-Lake-marker.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 134
   / More brushhogging ???? #3  
When we use to keep the fence line clear,we used first gear and went slow also raise the mower deck just a tad from the lowest setting,for you might come arcoss where a small tree has grown over a rock etc../w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif than we would walk the area to double check for rocks etc..than lower the deck to the lowest point and mowe back the other way.

When going into the trees etc..just keep an /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif open to protect your grill & motor etc..and if you should come upon thon apples trees,I would try and back into them w/the mower first.

Protect yourself to the fullest and keep an /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif open for thos hanging bee hives. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

/ More brushhogging ????
Thanks Thomas. I am planing to do some of the hevy stuff this fall, winter, spring. when the under brush is down, and I can see better. I was also toying with the idea of making some type of a removable woods bumper, to knock the stuff down first. But I guess I need the tractor first before I plan to much./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ More brushhogging ???? #5  
Sounds like you got a good plan Paul..and I'm sure before I know it I be scanning the TBN post and notice post..Got one yippe etc..you have a grand of a working tractor w/attachments /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif and do send photos. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ More brushhogging ???? #6  
Paul, when I first began to clear land of small postoak and blackjack oak trees, small bushes, and cedar, I was always at odds as to whether to use my rotary cutter or boxblade attached to my 1954 Ford Jubilee. I honestly think the boxblade worked much better for small saplings like the ones in your picture. I'd push backwards and get the saplings down, then pull forward with the rippers to jerk the roots out. If the tree was big enough to push over including the root ball, I'd pull/push it out and make a pile to later burn or fill a gully. What I found with the rotary cutter was that I'd always get my confidence a little high and end up breaking a shear pin or stalling the tractor. Once, while cutting, I couldn't stop quickly enough and drove a small dry branch (pencil size) straight through my grill and radiator. On old tractors and many new ones, you don't have any front protection for hazards like that. I now use my FEL on my new tractor as a shield for front damage.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can use a rotary cutter, but you better carry a bunch of shear bolts. My real preference for clearing brush like yours would be a boxblade. ...my two cents.

/ More brushhogging ????
Thanks, I never thought about using a box blade. Sounds like it may work. Also good tip about the sticks hitting the rad. May have to add a grill screan to my idea of a woods bumper.

/ More brushhogging ???? #8  
Some of the trees are bigger than 1.5", do you plan on take them down with your brushcutter? I am in the process of converting some overgrown woods into shaded lawn leaving trees 5" and larger. I have a steel blade on a Husqvarna brush cutter which works on trees 5" and smaller. For 0.5" and smaller, I use trimline. It's expensive (~$600) & heavy (~20lbs) for a weed whacker, but would clear the larger stuff in your area no problem.

I'll post two pictures for comparison. First a representative before shot.

Attachments

• 47-191752-woods_before_s.jpg
    47-191752-woods_before_s.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 97
   / More brushhogging ???? #9  
After shot, well actually it's the intermediate shot, I'm not done yet. I now need to rake/leaf-blow the leaves out of there, remove the stumps, level, and then plant grass.

I'm not saying go out & spend $600, but instead I'm just showing you a toy that you could add to your collection. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

Attachments

• 47-191755-woods_after_s.jpg
    47-191755-woods_after_s.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 107
   / More brushhogging ????
Ya thats what I am planing to do. I do not want to clear cut, just thin it down a bit. I plan on chain sawing the bigger ones, once I can get to them.