Oil & Fuel Grease Guns

/ Grease Guns #1  

MikeBurr

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC33D
I currently have two mini grease guns, one has the pull handle on the bottom and the other does not.
The one that does not have the handle works great, the only problem with it is when changing grease cartages it is hard to screw the top back on when pushing the top down, the threads are somewhat stripped on it.
The other has a handle on the bottom(standard setup?) that you pull down when loading a new cartage, but when I was loading it today and released the pull down handle, a whole bunch of grease came out around the handle when I pushed the handle back in. Is this normal?
I've looked on the net for a new one without the pull down handle, but couldn't find any.

/ Grease Guns #2  
I have a small grease gun that came with my boat and it is okay for minor uses. For greasing tractors and equipment I use two full size guns both with the suction handles you are referring to. It use to be you could buy a 5 gallon pail of grease and reload the gun using this plunger. Most people today myself included would rather use the cartridges.

A good manual grease gun will cost about $40, I have one with the angle metal tube and one with the hose connection. I use them both to get the grease where I need it. I use marine grade grease for everything because it seems to stay put longer.

The models with the pullout handle you are describing are easier to load, if you continue to have issues just buy a new one.

/ Grease Guns #3  
the rubber seal inthe bottom of the pull handle one is likely bad.

as for the threads ont he other one, is it something you can fix with a thread file?

I have a small gun.. but never use it. I have 2 full size with pull handle on the bottom.. one has a flexible tube and is lever operated.. the other has a 6" hard shaft and is a hand grip pump style.. I have side connectors I can fit to either if needed.

soundguy