Chains Chains and Plowing Question

/ Chains and Plowing Question #1  

estamas142

I would like to put chains on my front tires on my 4wd JD 4410. My rears are oversize r-4's and it would be difficult and more expensive and harder to handle on rears. But does anyone have any input wether this would work OK?

/ Chains and Plowing Question #2  
What does your manual say? I think I remember my 4300 manual recommended I not put chains on the front wheels. I made chains for the rears, as I couldn't find anything that would fit with so little room between the fender and the R-4's. I think chains on the front wheels would hit the tractor when turned sharply to the left or right.

/ Chains and Plowing Question #3  
i don't know if that would be a good idea or not, check with the dealer or tire shop. don't know what u would be doing that u want chains on front. are u sure u will need them?

/ Chains and Plowing Question #4  
I have run chains on the front for snowplowing. Traction was great, but wear on the steering components was substantial.

/ Chains and Plowing Question #5  
Rear chains do help and the amount depends on the tread of the tire as to how much, e.g. traction treads need more help when on ice beneath the snow. In our neck of the woods there are many rear chains only and not so many rear and front. No front only chains.

What follows is totally unsubstantiated but heard from many without opposition so maybe it needs further inquiry. Front chains with or without rear chains supposedly change the ratio and synchronization between the front and rear drive when in 4wd which can cause drive line damage. Rear chains only do not.

On the other side of the coin commercial skid steers almost always (summer and winter) have all four tires chained. Their tires though are much the same size in most instances.

Sooooooooo.......

/ Chains and Plowing Question #6  
I ran tire chains on the front of my JD650 for the simple reason that I did not have any rear chains and I needed more traction. Sure helped with steering in the deep snow out on the road.

/ Chains and Plowing Question #7  
I run front chains only as well. They help tremendously for steering when there is snow on the ground, and the extra traction they provide is amazing. I've heard stories about how much potential damage running just chains in the front can do, but I do not understand them. I often times disengage 4WD (in the winter while running my front chains) just to see if there is a lot of stress on the drive train, and it always slips out of 4wd with no problem. If I was having a problem of different wheel diameters (hence, different ratios) due to the chains, I would feel a lot of resistance while disengaging 4WD... but I never do. Of course, your experiences may differ, but based on my experience, running chains on the front only is not a problem.

Corm

/ Chains and Plowing Question #8  
Many years ago studded tires were available for winter driving. They were banned because of the damage to the pavement. For tractors it would seem that would be a great way to get extra traction for winter. Does anyone know if studded tires are sold for tractors?

/ Chains and Plowing Question #9  
If you run ag tires you can make your own by screwing in screws into the tread.

/ Chains and Plowing Question #10  
I live in Montana where studded tires are still legal during the winter months. My tire dealer said he could put studs on my current, used [250 hours] R-4 fronts. Plan to do so this fall.

Rick