5 mouse power under the hood

/ 5 mouse power under the hood #1  

Mudfarmer

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3005, Kubota B2710, Kubota B2650 (sold the ford 1700 and kubota B7100)
Hadn't used the JD 3005 for about three weeks. Before revving her up I checked under the hood. Mother mouse had moved in and nested on the radiator. Four babies in the nest. I'm not too keen on mice so felt no compunction in cleaning it out. I was, however, impressed with the eight inch size of the nest compared to the two inch mouse. Mama jetted, mouselings evicted. Just another routine maintenace - check oil, check for mice.

Mf

/ 5 mouse power under the hood #2  
You could have given them all names, Mickey Minnie, Bobby and all of the other Mousketeers from long ago. At least you found them before they were cooked on the radiator or engine block.
What part of Western Washington?

/ 5 mouse power under the hood #3  
You may also want to make sure they weren't having a smorgasbord on your wiring.
Bill

/ 5 mouse power under the hood #4  
A year or so back, I noticed that the lights in the front of my 855 weren't working anymore. Seems some rodents after building a nest up there stripped not only the insulation but also managed to sever the wires. :)

I've discovered that since I usually park my tractors with the hoods up (to accomodate battery tenders), I don't have the mice moving in under the hood. Of course they are parked inside.

/ 5 mouse power under the hood #5  
I have found they come back, once having left their odor behind. So I rinse the area they nested in with bleach solution. Seems to change their repeat behavior.

/ 5 mouse power under the hood #6  
I've used mothballs...

/ 5 mouse power under the hood #7  
In preparation to leaving my place in the Rockies I removed the seat from my Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATV to install my battery tender and discovered a large empty mouse nest right above all the electronics. After getting rid of the nest I discovered all the insulation gone from most of the wiring. I had been riding it with some of the 22 gauge wiring separated only by the thickness of the insulation. I haven't had a chance to repair the wiring yet but it is going to take some time to do it right. A friend has a 15 year old Honda ATV about a half mile away and the rodents have not touched the wiring on that. Is there any validity in that the present day insulation from Japan is now soy bean based and quite tasty to the rodents. And can anyone suggest how to mouse-proof my equipment. I don't like animals in the house or shop but I'm going to get me one inside!! I presently have feral cats, bob cats, coyotes, mountain lions, and whatever outside my house and shop that are constantly hunting the little rodents.
Jim