Pucker factor to the 10th degree !

/ Pucker factor to the 10th degree ! #1  

missourithunder

Gold Member
Ft Leonard Wood twice, Ft Hood twice, Iraq twice,
Tractor
2009 Kubota BX 1860
Talk about an eventful morning. I know it's hard to tell by the photos but if you look close you can see two skid marks going down the "lawn" on the west side of the house. I nearly had a roll over while mowing this morning.

The grass is still filling in so there's still a lot of top soil showing which was a bit damp from the rain last night (1st mistake; steep hill + wet grass = a bad situation when mowing). Like always, I cut the front yard first and then make my usual first pass going down the slope (2nd mistake, failed to ensure I was in low range and in 4WD).

Everything was fine until I hit the brake to slow down a little and I literally slid down the hill. Knowing that at the end of the hill is a 10ft drop off, I had two choices; keep it straight and pray I stop in time or turn to the left slightly, hoping to kind of power-slide to a stop. I figured (quite quickly) it was better to lay it down on it's side then to drive off the cliff. The power-slide worked but I swear I was on 2-wheels.

I think the only thing that saved me was the fact that the RFM was all the down. By the way, the loader was barely off the ground so that had nothing to do with it. What's incredible is I had just read the "Almost rolled over" and "layed down bx24" threads last night.

Lessons learned -
1. Never, ever mow steep hills when ground is wet
2. Complacency kills, keep it in low range and 4WD at all times
3. Always have someone within ear shot. The wife and kids were sleeping
4. Situational awareness is a must.

Have a safe weekend gents.
MT

Attachments

• DSC_0015.JPG
    DSC_0015.JPG
    957.1 KB · Views: 1,063
  • DSC_0014.JPG
    DSC_0014.JPG
    949.4 KB · Views: 800
  • DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    956 KB · Views: 815
  • DSC_0004.JPG
    DSC_0004.JPG
    937.5 KB · Views: 578
   / Pucker factor to the 10th degree ! #2  
Pick up mower and drop bucket. You're lucky you didn't roll it.

But, that said, "lucky learning experience" to be had and won't make the mistake again. Been there, done that!

/ Pucker factor to the 10th degree ! #3  
MT, I, for one, am very grateful you are OK. That the 'lil beast is also OK is a bonus. Yeah, drop bucket. Hard to remember when you're praying "and at the hour of our death". :D Sincerely glad you are alright.

/ Pucker factor to the 10th degree ! #4  
MT, I, for one, am very grateful you are OK. That the 'lil beast is also OK is a bonus. Yeah, drop bucket. Hard to remember when you're praying "and at the hour of our death". :D Sincerely glad you are alright.

+1... The first thought I had was what a great break that tooth bar would make. Better to repair the lawn than your body.

/ Pucker factor to the 10th degree ! #5  
glad you ok. Thats another reason why the rears needs to be filled. It won't cure the pucker factor, but gives you a little extra traction and lower COG.

/ Pucker factor to the 10th degree ! #6  
You were sure lucky or the man upstairs was not ready for you just yet. I am sure glad you didn't roll over that Nice "First Choice" Finish Mower Ha Ha. Ken Sweet

/ Pucker factor to the 10th degree !
Haymaker,
I understand your opinion about taking off the bucket but what do you mean by "pick up mower?"

dcyrilc,
I never thought about using the toothbar/loader as a break. I think it would actually work. Thanks.

bp,
Long time no hear ole friend and thanks for the feedback. I just don't get how complacent I got. When I finish mowing or complete a project I ride to the gas station to refuel and hit the car wash and when I came back I forgot to put it back into low range and 4WD. By the way, did you ever find a rear blade for your little beast ?

MT

/ Pucker factor to the 10th degree ! #8  
Years ago, I did something similar, mowing on wet grass with a zero turn mower. Did not turn out as good as yours. I slid all the way down in full reverse, and when the mower went over the edge of a 5 ft wall, I dove off the mower, I hit hard, and the mower fell on top of me, splitting a muscle in my leg. The mower was still running until I shut it off. Hurt like **** for about 4 weeks, and hurt my pride, as I had been cutting that hill for years. I learned to always around turn going uphill. Turning downhill is what started the slide.

/ Pucker factor to the 10th degree !
sweettractors,
I couldn't agree with you more.

Greetings radioman,
That was the second time I've had a case of serious pucker factor since moving onto the new property. Couple of months back I was testing the waters and seeing how close I could mow to the retaining wall (behind the bush in the 2nd photo. It's a 6ft drop. While mowing backwards towards the retaining wall, the rear wheels of the RFM jumped up on top of the wall causing a slight lurch going backwards. Scared the baheebe geebees out of me. Wife didn't like that so she spent $300 on bushes and shrubs and planted them in the dangerous spots to keep me safe while mowing. She's a good woman :)

MT

/ Pucker factor to the 10th degree ! #10  
Years ago, I did something similar, mowing on wet grass with a zero turn mower. Did not turn out as good as yours. I slid all the way down in full reverse, and when the mower went over the edge of a 5 ft wall, I dove off the mower, I hit hard, and the mower fell on top of me, splitting a muscle in my leg. The mower was still running until I shut it off. Hurt like **** for about 4 weeks, and hurt my pride, as I had been cutting that hill for years. I learned to always around turn going uphill. Turning downhill is what started the slide.

We sell the New Dixon ZTR's and I can tell you from experience and near misses, that downhill mowing while turning on wet grass is a No No. Glad you are fully recovered. Ken Sweet