Practice Removing Your FEL

/ Practice Removing Your FEL #1  

bp fick

Tractor
John Deere X390
The last couple days have seen too many reports of close calls when mowing or operating in tough conditions (hills, wet, etc) while still having the front end loader in place.

While the loader can be dropped as a safety brake, it is also likely that the FEL contributed to some degree to lack of balance in the first place. In many instances, it would be preferred not to have the FEL on. Many new owners, being excited to have a new FEL and not being comfortable or knowledgeable in how to remove it, just leave it on and/or have never taken it off.

Most modern tractors feature a FEL that is reasonably quick and easy to remove. Mastering the removing and installing of a FEL is needed skill. While it may seem funny to say, I watched the youtube videos over and over until I was comfortable doing it. It was worth practicing.

Highly encourage the new owners posting here at TBN to practice the skill. There are lots of knowledgeable and patient teachers here who will be glad to add some pointers, tractor model specific, as well. As Sarge used to say on Hill Street Blues, "Hey, Hey!! Let's be careful out there!"

Last edited:
   / Practice Removing Your FEL #2  
I've removed mine a number of times, but still keep the instruction book on the steering wheel while I'm doing it, just in case of a brain fa%t. So far, no major errors...

/ Practice Removing Your FEL #3  
Yep, the weight of the FEL can contribute to that unsteady feeling when mowing. At minimum, I drop the bucket off. That's pretty quick (pull two lynch pins, then use the dump circuit as you lower the FEL arms).

Most important thing when removing the loader (and re-installing it) is to take your time. It's not a race to see how fast you can do it. Just go step by step in the manual.
You'll get faster the more often you do it, but if it takes 20 minutes or more the first time or three...well, that's fine.

/ Practice Removing Your FEL #4  
just took mine off to bush hog. Big difference in front end weight. Seems to be more stable. All around easier to handle.

/ Practice Removing Your FEL #5  
I would agree with your observation about new owners not taking it off due to lack of experience. As a new owner, I mowed the first time with the FEL on (because I had to mow the same day the tractor arrived) but quickly realized that wasn't very practical. I took it off, only then realizing it was quite easy....and reinstalling it was a snap. So now it stays off unless needed.

/ Practice Removing Your FEL #6  
Mahindra fel is 2minutes off and 1minute on. Just remember to cap the hydraulic lines.

Montyhp

/ Practice Removing Your FEL #7  
Sometimes mine will be on and off in a week depends on the task at hand. I have it down to a 2-3 min turn around now. Always done in the garage on the flat (that helps a ton. John

/ Practice Removing Your FEL #8  
Good advice well worth considering.

/ Practice Removing Your FEL #9  
Mahindra fel is 2minutes off and 1minute on. Just remember to cap the hydraulic lines.

Montyhp

Two minutes during your first time?

Like I wrote...it's not a race...

/ Practice Removing Your FEL #10  
:(

Guilty as charged

never had it off, for fear of not getting it back on (little level ground which I beleive makes putting the bucket back on easier)

If i had mastered this skill, fair to say , I would not have taken out one of my fence braces last week when mowing a paddock :eek: