Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Default Practice Removing Your FEL

The last couple days have seen too many reports of close calls when mowing or operating in tough conditions (hills, wet, etc) while still having the front end loader in place.

While the loader can be dropped as a safety brake, it is also likely that the FEL contributed to some degree to lack of balance in the first place. In many instances, it would be preferred not to have the FEL on. Many new owners, being excited to have a new FEL and not being comfortable or knowledgeable in how to remove it, just leave it on and/or have never taken it off.

Most modern tractors feature a FEL that is reasonably quick and easy to remove. Mastering the removing and installing of a FEL is needed skill. While it may seem funny to say, I watched the youtube videos over and over until I was comfortable doing it. It was worth practicing.

Highly encourage the new owners posting here at TBN to practice the skill. There are lots of knowledgeable and patient teachers here who will be glad to add some pointers, tractor model specific, as well. As Sarge used to say on Hill Street Blues, "Hey, Hey!! Let's be careful out there!"
    Last edited by bp fick; 06-01-2010 at 11:42 AM.
    BP

"Some chickens, some gardens and a Kubota."

Tractor
    John Deere 2520, 1989 John Deere 185, 1960 Panzer T70B

Default Re: Practice Removing Your FEL

I've removed mine a number of times, but still keep the instruction book on the steering wheel while I'm doing it, just in case of a brain fa%t. So far, no major errors...
    Runner

Tractor
    John Deere 4520 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

Yep, the weight of the FEL can contribute to that unsteady feeling when mowing. At minimum, I drop the bucket off. That's pretty quick (pull two lynch pins, then use the dump circuit as you lower the FEL arms).

Most important thing when removing the loader (and re-installing it) is to take your time. It's not a race to see how fast you can do it. Just go step by step in the manual.
    You'll get faster the more often you do it, but if it takes 20 minutes or more the first time or three...well, that's fine.
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

just took mine off to bush hog. Big difference in front end weight. Seems to be more stable. All around easier to handle.
    TN75D, w/cab, FEL, BH
    7 1/2 ft Lucknow Blower

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2920

I would agree with your observation about new owners not taking it off due to lack of experience. As a new owner, I mowed the first time with the FEL on (because I had to mow the same day the tractor arrived) but quickly realized that wasn't very practical. I took it off, only then realizing it was quite easy....and reinstalling it was a snap. So now it stays off unless needed.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3316g

Mahindra fel is 2minutes off and 1minute on. Just remember to cap the hydraulic lines.

Montyhp

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Sometimes mine will be on and off in a week depends on the task at hand. I have it down to a 2-3 min turn around now. Always done in the garage on the flat (that helps a ton. John
    BX2360 FEL, + Tons of Attachments Many Homemade

Tractor
    Kubota M8540HDC, L5740HSTC, BX2200, BX2660, John Deere 425&1025R, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Good advice well worth considering.
    "An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it." - Jef Mallett

Tractor
    John Deere 4520 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

Quote Originally Posted by montyhp View Post
    Mahindra fel is 2minutes off and 1minute on. Just remember to cap the hydraulic lines.

Montyhp
    Two minutes during your first time?

Like I wrote...it's not a race...
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Tractor
    08 Montana C5264, 2011 McCormick CX100 XS

Guilty as charged

never had it off, for fear of not getting it back on (little level ground which I beleive makes putting the bucket back on easier)

If i had mastered this skill, fair to say , I would not have taken out one of my fence braces last week when mowing a paddock
    Montana 5264 4wd Tractor with FEL

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast