Engine over heating

/ Engine over heating #11  
....expect to see some high temps .......

One would think that, but if the gauge is bad, maybe it jumps quickly to high.

/ Engine over heating #12  
Nothing taxs a tractor more than mowing. If you are cutting fairly high grass, you might be running close to your full 27hp most of the time. Most other things tractor do, they aren't running full power for long periods of time.

/ Engine over heating #13  
the heat gun is a good idea and if the there is a cylinder gone it will still run but heat up with the heat gun point it at each cylinder or manifold get the temp if with in 5 dg of each other cylinders are good and if ok clean the rad just the bottom two little fins plugged can heat it up don't take much if plugged bad and the breather it can heat up the motor and Evin take it out -- seen it all before ---as for the heat gun $35 buck at princes auto or Canadian tire worth having good luck :thumbsup:

/ Engine over heating #14  
Back in November of 2005 my new Kubota L3830 had less than ten hours total running time. I used the tractor with a 5 ft Bush Hog Squealer 600 to clip a field that had not been cut in about two years. The field had large patches of Johnson grass that were higher than the tractor's ROPS. The weather was cool. We had already had our first frost, but the dead weeds were standing tall. There was an unbelievable amount of airborne crud. I always wear a dust mask while bush hogging. The bush hog cut through the weeds like a hot knife through butter until it overheated. After I shut down, I discovered that every air inlet into the tractor's hood was clogged with a couple of inches of airborne crud. When I opened the hood, I discovered that the radiator prefilter was clogged to the extent that there was no room for any additional crud. I let the tractor cool down and I cleaned off as much of the crud as possible. The tractor ran great and has continued to run great. It now has over 300 trouble free hours.

Since then I have put in many days bush hogging in 95 degree weather with no problem. I am ready to quit before the tractor is ready to quit. The L3830 has a digital temperature meter. normal operating temperature shows four bars. When that fifth bar appears I stop and clean out the radiator prefilter and all the hood air intakes.

My dealer warned me about airborne crud during my purchase instuction, but on that first day the tractor was unstoppable until it overheated.

/ Engine over heating #15  
I have a 27HP FarmTrac pulling a 5ft JD rotary mower. I always have a bad time with teh engine over heating when mowing. The screen on teh front of the radiator gets clogged with seeds and those *(^& cotton woods. The screen is not perfect so some seeds end up in the radiator. Of course my air compressor is on the fritz right now so I can't blow out the radiator but this is also a pain having to drive back to the barn every 20min. to blow out the radiator. How do you guys that are mowing miles away from your barn keep you tractors from getting clogged with seeds? Mowing is probably the most demanding thing I do with the tractor. Running a PHD or post driver really doesn't tax the tractor much.

We use a very high volume Stihl leaf blower when it is too much trouble to drive back to the garage and air compressor. We mowed today with our JD 2305 and Kubota BX2660 and the 2305 had to be cooled down three times. For some reason the screens clog up worse than the Kubota, but a couple of times it got pretty warm.

/ Engine over heating
I put a new drain plug in my compressor and bought a bower with an extendable wand and went after my radiator. I first went from the back side to hopefully not get stuff stuck in harder. Once I got it as best I could that way I went from the front to get the rest. There was a lot of crap in the radiator. The queen bee horse is so neurotic she wont go out in the back pastures or let the pony go out there so they need mowing again. I will let you know how that goes.

/ Engine over heating #17  
Good luck, we had to do that to our Case the other day.

/ Engine over heating #18  
I use a Hogs Hair filter about 1/2 inches thick in front of the radiator to keep the fine crud out. I cleen it when the temp gets near the red line, just brush the filter off.

/ Engine over heating #19  
How do you guys that are mowing miles away from your barn keep you tractors from getting clogged with seeds?

I carry a small paint brush (bristles cut down to 1/2-3/4 inch). The cut down bristles are pretty stiff and do a good job at cleaning off the grill.
My Deere's have never overheated (rarely go beyond 1/4 on the temp gage), but cleaning the grill occasionally while mowin is good and easy preventative action.

/ Engine over heating #20  
Hello !
I am also a new member. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guy !