Brush hogging and top links pins

/ Brush hogging and top links pins #1  

RichZ

Veteran Member
White Creek, New York, Washington County, on the V
Tractor
Kubota 4630 with cab and loader
This may sound REALLY stupid, but does anyone else have trouble with the pin on their top links coming off while brush hogging?

I've lost several pins, that came off of the link on the brush hog side, but this weekend, for the first time it came off on the tractor side. That caused one side of my check chain to come off and go under the brush hog. The brush hog cut that chain like it was just a kite string!!! And I didn't find the other half until I finished brush hogging the next day, so I had to buy a new set of check chains! I was doing a neighbor a favor, brush hogging her pasture, and it was REALLY embarrasing when she walked out to the pasture after hearing the chain get cut, and finding me looking for the missing half!!/w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

I always check the pins while I'm working, but if I'm going for several hours, after a while I sometimes forget. I've tried adjusting the length of my top link, and haven't found a pattern of when I have the problem. I might not have a problem at all for several days, then I might loose 2 pins in one day!

What am I doing wrong??!!

/ Brush hogging and top links pins #2  
Not doing anything wrong, really. I try not to use pins on the toplink when brushhogging because they seem to drop off. When i can find them I use the circular wire clips like you would have for a key ring. I use them for sure on the toplink but only the biggest ones i can find for the side links. Check out the hardware or tractor suppply store for various clip types. there are all kind available for trailers that are much more positive locking than click pins.

/ Brush hogging and top links pins #3  
RichZ,

Don't feel bad. I just had this happen to me last week using my rear finish mower. First time for me. I thought I must've forgot to actually put it on but as I thought about it I distinctly remember snapping that pin into place.

/ Brush hogging and top links pins #4  
Rich,

It happens with a MMM too. Pulled it off to do some dirt work with the FEL & rear blade. I was missing two hairpin clips & two washers. Lost another hairpin & washer off the part that stays with the tractor. Need to visit the hardware store before I can mow the lawn /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif I guess I should stock up on some extras.

/ Brush hogging and top links pins
Thanks, guys!!! I really was beginning to think I was doing something wrong, but I couldn't figure out what it was!!!

I guess its just one of the little problems that we can never solve!!!/w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif

/ Brush hogging and top links pins #6  
Rich, can't say it's happened to me but I have cut one of the check chains once when I had the hog lifted up such that the chains were hanging loose. When I went over a bump, the chain popped out of its hanger and ... well you know the rest of the story. I changed the hook on the end of the chain to one that has a spring-loaded clasp that will keep it on until I push the clasp down and unhook it from the hanger. Glad to hear you're one of the few that have found the incredible benefits of mowing with a flexible top link connection and check chains. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif ... Duane

/ Brush hogging and top links pins #7  
Rich, to reduce the chance of loosing the toplink pins and the lower arm stabilizers lift arms, I use "hairpins" pushed all the way down to the large part of the loop. I have a collection of bent/broken stabilizers of the flat bar type and expensive, adjustable types. (I'm a slow learner.../w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif) Using the hairpins instead of linch pins almost eliminated my losses. If you work around brush, you need to get rid of those linch pins. Also, don't ever use an inexpensive (two for a $) type linch pin in a critical location. They will bend and break off. I have finally purchased high quality (hardened steel) pins and they are much better. Don't get your finger caught in them, though. Ouch! /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Brush hogging and top links pins #8  
For a lot more good advice, follow <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=genoperating&Number=164399&page=5&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=> this tread </A> from a while back about the same thing. Hope this helps.

/ Brush hogging and top links pins #9  
Another problem I've seen with the toplink on the brush hog is that when you come to the bottom of a steep grade and start back up the next one the tractor is going up and the brush hog still headed down - the top link can be sqaushed causing pressure passed to the brush hog which can bend the braces on the brush hog. .....I've heard that you can use a chain instead of a toplink and this will alieviate the pressure; but i've yet to try it. Has anyone else heard of this, or better yet tried it?

/ Brush hogging and top links pins #10  
There has been a lot of discussion about replacing the third are with a chain. Some say that it is dangerous and some say it’s not. I for one, put a chain on mine about 3-4 months ago. I wish that I would have done it along time ago. Not only has it eliminated the binding but, it also allows you to adjust it to where you can mow over ridges better.