I Ran Out of Dirt (Again)

/ I Ran Out of Dirt (Again)
I had another one tonight. A lady called me to ask if I could help fix her tiller. Her husband is a veteran who has heart troubles and is losing his sight, so he couldn't do it.

The problem ended up being pretty easy to fix, and I felt pretty good that I was able to help out. I posted the solution in the tillers section of the lawn and garden forum.

Since I was going anyway, I hauled my tractor over with the PTO tiller on it and tilled up their garden when I had finished fixing their tiller. She'll still need to touch things up with her tiller, but I gave her a head start. The best part was listening to her and her husband argue with each other. It was better than any sitcom on TV.

/ I Ran Out of Dirt (Again) #12  
You could always till up your own garden again and replant it! :D

You could always till up your own garden again and replant it! :D

Since half of it froze and the other half was trampled by horses, I may end up following your advice. I'll give it another week to see if some of it survives.

/ I Ran Out of Dirt (Again) #14  
I won't accept any money for my tractor time, but I jumped at the chance to help him out. He had about 500 square feet of garden, and it took me about 30 minutes to go over it 3 times. I still didn't feel done, so I stopped at three or four houses of people I know on the way back home to ask if they had their gardens in yet. I tilled all evening until I ran out of daylight.

That was some good seat time.

I did the same thing with couple 20" snows we had this year (just got the 60" snow blower -- HAD to use use it)!

I did the same thing with couple 20" snows we had this year (just got the 60" snow blower -- HAD to use use it)!

I think snow is more fun that dirt. I think a snowblower would be even better than a plow. I'd love to find a good used PTO snowblower for cheap. I can imagine there is something very theraputic about watching a solid stream of snow shooting 50 feet or more.

/ I Ran Out of Dirt (Again) #16  
I think snow is more fun that dirt. I think a snowblower would be even better than a plow. I'd love to find a good used PTO snowblower for cheap. I can imagine there is something very theraputic about watching a solid stream of snow shooting 50 feet or more.

I do enjoy moving snow more than dirt, although the impeller on my snow blower is kinda beat, and has about a 1/2" gap between it and the housing. It only throws the snow about 15', but it does the job. Yes, I find blowing snow to be therapeutic, especially on a nice clear day after the snow is over. Blowing snow during the sleet and freezing rain that often follows snows around year, not so much.

We rarely get more than a few inches of snow per snow event, but without a blower I'd be f***'d for anything more than 6-8", which we get often enough to justify the used blower purchase (paid $800 for it last summer, after a basically snowless winter ). We had a 12" and two 20" snow events this winter (the two 20" events were only a few days apart). After clearing my own, had fun clearing out all the neighbors.

I also enjoy using the FEL and rear fork to move heavy things around for myself and others. The one neighbor had a few 300-500 lbs rock they wanted moved. It was effortless with the FEL, but would have really sucked to do w/o it. Neighbor was grateful for my few minutes of "work", and enjoyed a nice cold beer as a reward :D