Making money with your tractor

/ Making money with your tractor #11  
I like your thinking a tractor for every tool!

/ Making money with your tractor #12  
As the threads indicate if you are going to work for hire plan on insurance. What I charge for services is limited to the local neighbors who need a helping hand (or bucket).. To date this is pocket change, and I do have insurance coverage thru the homeowners policy - that only covers what happens on my property though.

BTW I charge $25 for me and $25 for the tractor per hour when there is a specific task to be done and they insist on paying, and most time nothing if it takes a few minutes.

Carl

/ Making money with your tractor #13  
Insurance has been covered.

Many firemen and school teachers do very well in the summer brush hogging and mowing, in the winter snow removing, and in the spring tilling. The safest rule for self employment with a tractor is to stay above ground (except of course the six inch or so dig tilling). When you start digging you start looking at below ground hazards and overhead problems.

The how much to charge problem is pretty much removed by bidding a job, as nobody is surprised when it comes to pay up time. The dollar decision is yours as to whether a fast nickel or slow dime. BUT, don't forget to put back the routine maintenance and occasional breakdown costs.

/ Making money with your tractor #14  
I have an insurance policy that covers my tractor on pulic roads and right of ways. I don't do any deep digging and have a verbal understanding with my "good" neighbors about damages to their property before I get started and I have a waiver form that releases me from liability that I use with everyone else. Would this hold up in court? How much PTO HP does my lawyer have? So far, so good.

/ Making money with your tractor #15  
Could you post the contents of your waiver form? Was it drawn up by a lawyer or other professional? I'd be interested if anyone else uses one and the details if you do. TIA

Mike

/ Making money with your tractor #16  
I too would be interested in the contents of your agreement as I do some for hire tilling, mowing, snow removal for neighbors and others
Thanks

/ Making money with your tractor #17  
That waiver won't stop you from getting sued. Unless the person signing the waiver is an expert in the field they're signing the waiver on they can say they didn't know what they were signing, the risks involved, etc. When I worked at Firestone we would have people's cars towed to their house rather than release the car directly to them if the brakes were out and they didn't want it fixed. I guess they had been sued and lost even though the dealership had wrote a disclaimer and had the customer sign that they knew the brakes were out. I guess you could call it the ignorance is bliss defence, or offence, as you will. :(

/ Making money with your tractor #18  
ARE U SURE about that? i was under the impression that if u signed something u understood wht u were signing. as when u sign a form from the bank. once u sign it is gospel, they usually have a clause stating that u have read and understand what u are signing. will have to ask my daughter about that. for what it cost me to put her through law school she can give me some free advice/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ Making money with your tractor #19  
I would imagine the a wiaver of liability (if properly worded) would be like an informed consent in healthcare. In it, there would be a description of the service(s) to be performed along with a list or description of potential complications. Of course, these complications would vary based upon the service being performed. Such a document would probably not insulate one from being liable for instances of neglect; however, might help in cases where the possibility of collateral damage was predicted and this was explained to the client before the work was done.

I would think that anyone who does work for hire would have an appropriately worded release form prepared by an attorney. This (and not the opinions of people like me) would be the best way to to protect yourself.

I'm not an attorney. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

/ Making money with your tractor #20  
"ARE U SURE about that? i was under the impression that if u signed something u understood wht u were signing."

What makes you think that? I might read it, you might read it. Figure it this way, there is still a whole bunch of people in Florida that can't seem to figure out a simple thing like casting or counting or figuring out how to turn in ballots!