Making money with your tractor

/ Making money with your tractor #1  

risert

I'm not sure if this is the right section for this particular post, but I was just wondering how many of you use your tractor to perform services for hire? Typically like bushhogging, FEL work, etc. I am considering acquiring a compact tractor (30-35 HP) to use on my own property, however, I would like to possibly generate some income from it to offset the cost of ownership, as I don't have enough work around my property alone to justify owning one. Any information regarding buisness use, been there-done that, etc. would be helpful and appreciated. Thank you.

/ Making money with your tractor #2  
So far rototilling has been by far my largest customer draw. I advertise my services aimed at smaller acreages (backyard gardens, corrals, etc. up to 4 acres) and have been pretty busy.
I also appreciate the local Kubota dealer referring people to me since they no longer rent equipment out. In return I try to spend most of my money there.

/ Making money with your tractor #3  
I haven't charged for it...yet. But I have done quite a bit of brushhogging and driveway maintenance with my landscape rake for several of my non-farmer neighbors.

On my wife and my list of things to eventually purchase, is a trailer to tow at least one tractor on, so I can start to do some of these things for hire. Right now, I drive my tractors to their place to do the work. A trailer would sure expand my territory!

Some of my farmer neighbors have asked me if I was interested in doing some of the mundane tasks that they don't have time for, like stacking round bales with my loader, and even some brush hogging. They said they would pay me, but we haven't gotten into prices, I might just trade services for stuff like that, and have them do stuff that I haven't yet got equipment for.

/ Making money with your tractor #4  
I am thinking of doing the same thing. Does anyone carry insurance or have a business permit and such or are you doing this just cash in hand. Do you sign any argeements with the land owner? Charge by the hour or by the acre for brushhogging?

/ Making money with your tractor #5  
I do some side work with my bx22, loader and back hoe stuff. I try to quote the jobs by a set price. so far I have been averaging $100. an hour. Just make sure you have liability insurance, use dig safe if needed, you never know what can happen and one mistake could cost you a lot of money and then some.

/ Making money with your tractor #6  
Risert, a number of the members on the forum use their tractor for pay and the range charged per hour seems to run from $25 to $50 for most work. Backhoe work and other specialty equipment can draw a higher price. In my opinion you need to look at the cost of insurance before you venture into the for hire market. Homeowners insurance will generally cover you if you are on your property only. Some of the farm insurance policies will extend that to off your property but with some limitations on distance. A landscaper policy will cover you most places and often has limitations that do not include coverage for backhoe work. Contractor insurance pretty much allows the use to your tractor most places with most implements and of course is the most expensive.

MarkV

/ Making money with your tractor #7  
As an Elecrtic Meter Supervisor for the local Elecrtical utility I use my Kubota B7500 to help (with pay) many local contractors with ditch digging or pole setting. I "play" with my toy and get paid for it. Can't beat that.
-T

/ Making money with your tractor #8  
There are a couple of things that you'll need to consider. First, make sure you get insurance to cover you and the equipment. The kind of policy, costs, etc. will be totally dependent upon your state laws and availability of insurers. In Maryland, the only way I could get coverage to take my tractor off my property and be covered was to get a landscapers policy. It will cover my tractor and all of the equipment listed on the policy for $500 a year. Key words are equipment listed on the policy. If it isn't listed, don't remove it from your property.

Now what to charge..... hmmm - very subjective. Our family (me or my daugher) do a couple of lawns in our neighborhood. I've set the price at $35 per yard. It takes a little more than a hour to do so I thought that it was a fair price. I will adjust the price depending upon the size and/or terrain of the yard. I haven't done any brush clearing. If and when, I do that I'll charge it out at $35-45 per hour. If at all possible, I will try to use a fixed price amount as mentioned earlier. If the work gets done quicker, more money in my pocket. If it takes a little longer than expected, note the problems and adjust later. Fixed pricing works well and people do not think that you're screwing them if the job takes longer than you anticipated. The only way I would charge by the hour is if I cannot come up with a reasonable guess as to the length of the job.

Hope this helps.

Terry

/ Making money with your tractor #9  
I don't do any work with my tractor for hire (although I would like to). The reason is liablity. You really must have full insurance coverage, not only for your tractor but for any damage you may cause. If you were to dig up (for example) a little 'ol fibre cable that carries internet or phone services to a bunch of homes or some big businesses either you or your client are probably responsible, which can easily be measured in the million $$$ range (I've done big computer systems where downtime is often in the hundreds of thousands (yup, dollars) per minute.

On the other hand, if you are just mowing someone's pasture, simple coverage on the tractor and yourself is probably good enough. But be careful when digging!

And if you do find that it works out, please let me know. I'd love to drive a tractor for a living, but the going rate out here for an equipment operator isn't all that great - unless you own it.

...Chris

/ Making money with your tractor #10  
If you can't justify the price of a tractor for your own property maybe you shoud look at a grey market. I have a 28hp 2WD with mower, 28hp 4WD with a box blade and a 31hp 4WD with factory front end loader and have less than $10000 in all three. I don't even have to change implements between jobs!

Eugene