Ford 2000 distributor

/ Ford 2000 distributor #1  

Oldstuff

Silver Member
Tractor
'63 Ford 2000
I have had a 1963 Ford 2000 4 cyl tractor since last fall and all is well, I really like it for what I am doing- mainly mowing with a little rear grader blade work. I want to be ready for replacing points and condenser when the time arrives, however, when I look at tune up kits at Tractor Supply and etc some of the notes indicate that there is a side mount distributor and some indicate a front mount. Most of these kits are for several of the "n' models and 600's, 800's and 2000 through 4000 models. My tractor is 160 miles away from where I live so I will not see it for about 2 weeks, but I do know the distributor is on the right side and a little forward of engine center- so I am assuming I should look at the side mount distributor parts because the front models are actually on the front? Am I correct?

Thanks- Oldstuff

/ Ford 2000 distributor #2  
You are correct. If you have an original distributer, all Ford tuneup kits marked for 1950-1964 side mount distributers will work. Front mount kits should say 1939-1949 or -50.

/ Ford 2000 distributor #3  
I do not know the answer but have you ever thought about a generic electronic ignition kit. I would think a kit would pay for itself in 3 or 4 years plus the time savings of changing the points and keeping them adjusted.

Just a thought, Scott

/ Ford 2000 distributor
I did forget to say that this tractor had already been converted to a 12 volt system when I purchased it. Now, as to the conversion to electronic ignition- what all is needed to do this, is it just a replacement plate within the distributor that has the parts on it or does the coil have to be changed also? I'll google this to see what is available but really fell better hearing from you guys with the experience!

Oldstuff

/ Ford 2000 distributor #5  
Electronic ignition is not 'generic', rather specific to the distributer it is installed in. If you are considering electronic ignition, Pertronics is the only word you need to know.

Ignitor

/ Ford 2000 distributor
Thanks to All,
Oldstuff

/ Ford 2000 distributor #7  
I'd also add that if your points system is well maintained and working.. you may not have a need to spend the extra cash to go to EI.

also keep in mind if you ever accidentally install your bat backwards.. the ei and alt will smoke darn fast.. ( think 'milliseconds )

soundguy