Oil & Fuel Anybody Run Tractor on Heating Oil?

/ Anybody Run Tractor on Heating Oil? #21  
I specifically asked my HHO supplier if his HHO was the same as his off-road diesel. He said yes.

His HHO is low sulfur, and is dyed red.

My tractor (a JD2320) specifically calls for ultra-low sulfur OR low-sulfur diesel.

I will use the HHO during warmer months, but to be on the safe side will probably buy road diesel for over the winter. The tractor hopefully won't get that much run-time in the winter, anyway - unless we have another winter like this past one. :p

I would not worry about using road deisel fuel in the winter. I would think that using HHo is fine as it has an additive or kero in it to keep it from gelling. I know up north most of yall have the tanks in the basement or in ground. Many tanks here in the south are on barrel stand. My grandmas is and its 300-500 gallons and even though were in SC we still can have several days were it dosent reach freexzing and drops to the teens at night. This will gell deisel and hers never has an additive that we add and luckily has never gelled, and its on the north side of the house as well.

/ Anybody Run Tractor on Heating Oil? #22  
#21 and #22
1*it varies from region to region as to whether it's all ULS diesel.
2*last statements from up in these woods is that there is still a big diff between off road and on road, as far as sulfer content.
1*Funney/odd that you replied to #21 and #22 like this.
I just had 51 gallon of fuel delivered today.
Invoice says ULSD DIESEL dyed for Non taxable use.
In other words it's just plain old on road avilable at nearly evey service station in the country.
I just read somewhere that 85 percent of the conversion to ULSD is now complete.
2*You must be amongst the 15 percent that hasn't been completed yet.
It may be that you are in an area that hasn't ran out of the High sulfer stuff but once the stored balance runs out the tanks will be refilled with the current ULSD .

My supplier was giving me one HHO for my indoor tank and another for my outdoor tank. The outdoor variety was the same as what he would then pump into my tractor tank. I watched him move the hose from one tank to the other, didn't alter any valves in truck, just reset the computer for a different ptintout on the delivery slip.
3*The girl in the office tells me that its the same as well. (except for the price)[/quote]
3*Since it's all the same stuff why not just use the lowest priced and forget it ?

4*Heating oil = off road = on road diesel, but middle one has a red dye. Think there may be slightly different pour point specs on heating oil, but it is often the same stuff as off road with or without the dye.
5* Think both heating oil and off road can be 500 ppm sulfur. On road, has to be (or is it 15?) ppm.
6*ONE TIME I bought 3 cans of off road (it's a whopping 17 cents/gallon cheaper than on road here in Virginia). Had a wax dropout problem with it. Got Exxon to take it back and refilled the containers with my usual B5 and emptied, fished out the wax globs and refilled my tractor tank. By using B5, I can occasionally put a gallon in the TDI to get it to the next fuelup once every 600 miles at the Exxon station all the way across town.
Ralph
4*The oil co i was using since 2007 told me that Off Road and Home Heating oil were the same stuff.
Last week I changed suppliers and they too told me the same thing .
5*That was yesteryear - today as I just read somewhere that 85 percent of the conversion to ULSD is now complete.
6*Things have chqanged in the last 3 years so i doubt that this would happen today.

7*For some time I was trying to find out the self life of HHO answer ?? any of you guys ...? to set some plaing field.. no additiives .. straight from dealers of HHO
7*I got my first delivery of 51 gallons from my new supplier today.
They told me it was 5 to six years.

/ Anybody Run Tractor on Heating Oil? #23  
glad we got all that straight.:thumbsup:

/ Anybody Run Tractor on Heating Oil? #25  
The prices on dyed diesel and HHO seem to change weekly, if not daily. Sometimes one is higher, then its the other way around. The price is set by head office and the girl has to check her computer to find todays price. Tomorrow it may be different. Depending on when the delivery truck was filled, it can be cheaper to have it delivered than buy it at the depot...
I only buy about 400 liters at a time, 3-4 times a year so it works out about even.
Even at -30F, the outside HHO tank would never gell, but when it was around 32F I would get a lot of condensation....