ALWAYS use 4wd on hills!

/ ALWAYS use 4wd on hills! #1  

RalphVa

Tractor
JD 2025R, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010 & JD 1025R
This maybe goes in the safety area, but it'll probably get more attention here.

Took the tractor down the hill this afternoon to mow my trails. In going down the back hill, the back end started to slide to the right. I hit the brakes. Still more sliding. Fortunately, it finally stopped.

I noticed the front wheels were moving, but the back tires were locked. I'd forgotten to put it in 4wd. Therefore, the fronts weren't holding it back any, AND I no longer had 4 wheel brakes.

I'd taken to disengaging 4wd while going across the turnaround area to grass. Doing this, it seems that working the lever was getting easier and easier; whereas, in the past I'd always left it in 4wd unless I went down the driveway in dry weather. In/out of 4wd was always a chore to get the lever to move.

After this experience, I'm going back to my old practice.

Ralph

/ ALWAYS use 4wd on hills! #2  
Thanks for the tip. Being relatively new on my BX, I'm still learning behind the wheel, but more so reading TBN posts. I wonder about getting used to one's own property, as to what works etc. But there are still a lot of variables due to load, weather etc. Being retired, I can pick and choose my chores and time to do them. That's a luxury many of you don't have. Now if I go to help at somebody else's place, Lord knows what might happen.:confused2:

/ ALWAYS use 4wd on hills! #3  
I always use 4wd on hills when it is available on the tractor im using.

/ ALWAYS use 4wd on hills! #4  
Going down hill, for sure I always use 4WD.
I often have FEL full hence no braking on rear end, or at best wheels lock and skid.
In 4WD, I have at least the engine compression working for me!

/ ALWAYS use 4wd on hills! #5  
4WD on hills makes a big difference. Sometimes the difference between life and death!

/ ALWAYS use 4wd on hills! #6  
In addition to using 4wd, it is also recommended to navigate straight down the hill... as apposed to driving at a slight angle (when possible and when conditions warrant).

The OP said the rear-started to slide to the right. That tells me he was going a little cross-ways down the hill. Even with 4wd, if you are going side-ways enough you can still slide. Anytime the rear-end starts sliding side-ways, there is the possibility of a roll-over -- especially when a hill is invovled.

Be safe out there guys! Live to enjoy another day of tractorin' (and family, of course).

/ ALWAYS use 4wd on hills! #7  
It's not all good though - remember that if your front wheels start sliding because of engine braking w/ 4WD you're also loosing some steering ability!

/ ALWAYS use 4wd on hills! #8  
It's not all good though - remember that if your front wheels start sliding because of engine braking w/ 4WD you're also loosing some steering ability!

Agreed, but you can blip the throttle to gain steering ability. Of course if you are sliding all four wheels, you may have passed the point of no return anyway.

/ ALWAYS use 4wd on hills! #9  
To think, I've been dodging death every day for years using a 2wd tractor on steep hills. :rolleyes: As rjkobbeman mentioned, it has more to do with going straight down hill when possible, and going slow when conditions call for it. Common sense must be used no matter what technology you have.

/ ALWAYS use 4wd on hills! #10  
Unless its a gas engine, I didn't think diesels gave any engine braking? It seems with it in gear, it will slow it down some on its own, but is this due to engine braking?