I dont know what to do.

/ I dont know what to do. #1  

Johndeere3720

Padawan Tractor Learner, Advertiser
Tractor
Bobcat T62, MT55, E42R, E10, John Deere 4100
I was talking to my grandpa today and he says that instead of me building a FEL for my Yanmar that i should sell my Yanmar and my Simplicity and buy a used 30 hp tractor. A 30 hp tractor would run my tiller and auger with more ease and when i would install a FEL it would have more capabilities over a FEL on my 19hp Yanmar tractor. So, what is the better option, build a loader for my Yanmar or sell both my tractors at the end of summer (I have a summer job) and get a 30hp tractor? :confused:

/ I dont know what to do. #2  
I was talking to my grandpa today and he says that instead of me building a FEL for my Yanmar that i should sell my Yanmar and my Simplicity and buy a used 30 hp tractor. A 30 hp tractor would run my tiller and auger with more ease and when i would install a FEL it would have more capabilities over a FEL on my 19hp Yanmar tractor. So, what is the better option, build a loader for my Yanmar or sell both my tractors at the end of summer (I have a summer job) and get a 30hp tractor? :confused:

I know a guy that has been in positions like you..
don't get me wrong I wish I could build stuff like a FEL...

But look at it this way--
from a $ standpoint...
If a 19 HP tractor will do X in Y time and a 30 HP tractor will do X in 1/2 Y time. If you have a summer job, then you may be able to do more work and make more $$$

If you build it, how much lost work time will you have to invest?
materials?

it may be more economically sound to just buy...
if you can sell the other tractors, with the 0% financing all the tractor companies are doing, it might even behoove you to buy new!!!

just a couple of thoughts....

J

/ I dont know what to do. #3  
After I posted I saw the I am only 14 tag line...
hmm....
hold off on that new purchase..

hit up craigslist....

J

/ I dont know what to do.
I know a guy that has been in positions like you..
don't get me wrong I wish I could build stuff like a FEL...

But look at it this way--
from a $ standpoint...
If a 19 HP tractor will do X in Y time and a 30 HP tractor will do X in 1/2 Y time. If you have a summer job, then you may be able to do more work and make more $$$

If you build it, how much lost work time will you have to invest?
materials?

it may be more economically sound to just buy...
if you can sell the other tractors, with the 0% financing all the tractor companies are doing, it might even behoove you to buy new!!!

just a couple of thoughts....

J

Basically, my grandpa says that I wouldnt be to pleased with the capabilities a FEL on my Yanmar would be over a 30 hp tractor. He says that my auger and tiller are too big for my Yanmar and if i got a 30 hp tractor I could use those implements with ease rather than putting so much strain on the Yanmar. I currently have over half the $$$ to build a FEL and i am gaining every day im at work (I help build pole barns). If i sold both my tractors and used all the $$$$ from summer jobs I would have roughly $8500 to work with.

/ I dont know what to do.
After I posted I saw the I am only 14 tag line...
hmm....
hold off on that new purchase..

hit up craigslist....

J

I wouldnt get a new tractor. I would get something used from a dealer like a NewHolland TC30. My local NewHolland Dealer has a TON of used TC30s.

/ I dont know what to do. #7  
$8500...

HMM.. Barlow's?
hit them up---
maybe John Thomas's special discount will help...

J

/ I dont know what to do. #8  
RadarTech wrote - "After I posted I saw the I am only 14 tag line...
hmm....
hold off on that new purchase.."

He may be just 14 but he's got twice the tractor knowledge and experience a lot of us have trust me.

MT

/ I dont know what to do. #9  
I wouldnt get a new tractor. I would get something used from a dealer like a NewHolland TC30. My local NewHolland Dealer has a TON of used TC30s.

yeah-- I wonder what Barlow's has...

J

/ I dont know what to do. #10  
I think your Grandpa is giving you advice and he knows you well I assume. I would listen to him.

Unless you have outstanding fabrication skills, any FEL you build will not equal the re-sale of a manufactured FEL, so your investment in time and material may not pay off. Even then, a home made FEL will not excite many buyers.

If you have use for a 30HP tractor, then you will eventually replace the Yanmar anyways.

If you owned a 30HP tractor already and planned to keep it a long time, then fabricating your own FEL would make more sense. If you want to build a FEL, build it for the tractor you NEED, not necessarily the tractor you own today.

That's my $.02.
Dave.