Ballast Frame & weights for FEL ballast

/ Frame & weights for FEL ballast #1  

Curt

Tractor
Massey-Ferguson 1215
Using a weight frame and loose weights for loader ballast is not something I have seen very much of at TBN. I thought I would relate some of my experiences in case some other rookies were considering this option. I chose weights because my first job with the FEL was a close-in job next to the garage. Not knowing what I was doing was enough without having some big hunk of stuff hanging out behind me. The weights tuck right in, and are quickly out of mind. A lot less to keep track of.

There are pros and cons. The biggest disadvantage is the cost. The frame and weights cost over $400. The weights can serve a double purpose in that, with the FEL off, they can be used on the front frame. That's small comfort when you think you could almost buy a cheap cutter for that much. As an accountant, however, I am getting to the point where I consider it a "sunk cost" and cease to worry about it. The second disadvantage is that the 3PH is disabled, preventing the use of the MMM. Using the mower with FEL attached is very uncomfortable with no ballast. I'm getting better at dropping the FEL before mowing.

For loader work the weights are great. They are easy to mount, and the balance seems perfect to this novice. I was concerned that 350# wouldn't be enough, but it seems plenty so far (for a 48" bucket). I think the way they mount makes the weight more effective. In use one doesn't even know they are there. They hold tight with no rattling.

The frame is a triangular affair that mounts on the bottom arms, and replaces the top link. Once it is mounted the 3PH is locked in float position. The frame rides high and clears the PTO shield. The 25# weights are put on a "L" bracket and a rod passes through all the handholds to hold everything tight and secure. I'm not sure of this, but I would think that shutting down the 3PH would send all the hydraulic power to the FEL. Is this true? I also think the weight, by pulling from further up on the tractor, is magnified. Am I right?

In summary, once the "buyer's remorse" was addressed, I have been very happy with the arrangement. It's a slick, good-looking solution to the ballast quandry, and seems to improve loader operation. Sorry I took so long to make this point.

Attachments

• 47-194003-weight1.jpg
    47-194003-weight1.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 157
   / Frame & weights for FEL ballast
a close-up

Attachments

• 47-194005-weight2.jpg
    47-194005-weight2.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 195
   / Frame & weights for FEL ballast #3  
Curt,

I like it.

I personally wouldn't be able to get by with that small amount of weight on my L3710. I use a heavy duty box blade as balast on my tractor ( over 1000 lb ) and that seems to just about be enough for most work. There are times when it is marginal such as a heaping full bucket of wet clay.

I have thought about using a 55 gal drum and filling it up with some steel, lead, and concrete to have a bit smaller protrusion on the rear. Most of my work is in open areas so I haven't been too concerned.

I had thought about making something like what you have, but figured that I wouldn't be able to get enough weight that way.

/ Frame & weights for FEL ballast #4  
I've had a similar setup for the past 2 years, works real well. My weights are 70+ pounds each.

Attachments

• 47-194064-Weight.JPG
    47-194064-Weight.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 181
   / Frame & weights for FEL ballast #5  
Nice looking setup,sure wouldn't want to back into anything of importants /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gifand thats why I added a bumper. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Last edited:
   / Frame & weights for FEL ballast #6  
I made a rear 3pt weight with a 55 gallon drum filled with concrete. See this <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=implement&Number=30031&page=&view=&sb=&fpart=&vc=1&o=>post with attached piture</A>. I will take a better picture, if you like, once it stops raining.

/ Frame & weights for FEL ballast #7  
Curt,That's a nice set-up,should work out nice for you.
Actually moving the weights away from the tractor would magnify the effect,it's a leverage thing.
I'll try to attach a photo of my low budget ballast.It's 800 pounds of high strength Sacrete.The pins are 7/8"bolts welded to an inner framework,locknuts are used in place of clevis pins to prevent side sway,toal cost was about $60.00.
Works great,although not as pretty as yours......Mike

Attachments

• 47-194254-800#ballastsmall.JPG
    47-194254-800#ballastsmall.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 132
   / Frame & weights for FEL ballast #8  
Thomas:

I really like your chain basket also.

/ Frame & weights for FEL ballast #9  
Here's the pic of the 3pt weight without the snow. It isn't very pretty actually pretty ugly but it works really well. I use it mostly in the winter to give my chains a better bite in the ice and hard packed snow during fell work.

Attachments

• 47-194407-#3PT_weight.jpg
    47-194407-#3PT_weight.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 560
   / Frame & weights for FEL ballast #10  
The only good picture I can find with it on the tractor.

Attachments

• 47-194412-House&tractor.jpg
    47-194412-House&tractor.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 675