10' mower on 60 hp JD 4520?

/ 10' mower on 60 hp JD 4520?
Do you have farm plates?

How old are the boys that you don't want them to run the larger tractor?

I have farm plates. Boys are 12 and 13. They have been riding atvs for years. Started driving 4520 and Toolcat more consistently this year.
I started driving a Ford 8N when I was 5-6 and getting the milk cows. No brakes on the 8N drop the rear blade or turn off the switch if had to stop going down hills. My dad use to bolt an extension to some of the clutch on some tractors so I could push the clutch in. Even then I had to pull up on the steering wheel to add weigh just to push the clutch down. I use to drive the pickup looking under the top rim of the steering wheel to just see over the dash.

I don't have the courage to turn them loose on a 2 year old, $90,000 tractor and $14,000 batwing.

/ 10' mower on 60 hp JD 4520? #12  
If you have a deckover and a tractor w/loader, back the mower on, then use the bucket to swing it sideways (via a hitch on the bucket or a chain). You should then be able to pull the PTO shaft and pull a couple of bolts to pivot the hitch to a vertical position

See http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMW45017_19/?tM= for hitch installation directions.

Aaron Z

/ 10' mower on 60 hp JD 4520? #13  
I have farm plates. Boys are 12 and 13. They have been riding atvs for years. Started driving 4520 and Toolcat more consistently this year.
I started driving a Ford 8N when I was 5-6 and getting the milk cows. No brakes on the 8N drop the rear blade or turn off the switch if had to stop going down hills. My dad use to bolt an extension to some of the clutch on some tractors so I could push the clutch in. Even then I had to pull up on the steering wheel to add weigh just to push the clutch down. I use to drive the pickup looking under the top rim of the steering wheel to just see over the dash.

I don't have the courage to turn them loose on a 2 year old, $90,000 tractor and $14,000 batwing.

Well with the farm plates you can run as wide as you like.

I can understand your concern with that age of boys.

/ 10' mower on 60 hp JD 4520? #14  
Last year we bought a Woods DS1260, which is a 10'6" mower much like the one shown. The dealer is sixty miles away and they delivered it by pulling it behind a service truck. We also have a Woods 121 3-point 10' mower and much prefer the pull type as it is more stable on slopes. We use a 72 and 80 HP tractor, but specs indicate it will work with a 50 HP. I would jump all over that thing.

If you have a deckover and a tractor w/loader, back the mower on, then use the bucket to swing it sideways (via a hitch on the bucket or a chain). You should then be able to pull the PTO shaft and pull a couple of bolts to pivot the hitch to a vertical position

See http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMW45017_19/?tM= for hitch installation directions.

Aaron Z

Had not thought of that. It may just work.

Well with the farm plates you can run as wide as you like..

Is that true? Never heard of that. I will admit, the DOT tends to sometimes look the other way with farmers-unless your using a semi/trailer to haul grain or overloaded.

/ 10' mower on 60 hp JD 4520? #17  
Had not thought of that. It may just work.

If your tractor has a loader, it might also be possible to mount a set of 4x6es as "side ramps" and pull the mower up sideways. See the attached drawing for details.

Aaron Z

Attachments

• Side load cutter.png
    Side load cutter.png
    51.1 KB · Views: 158
Well, bought the mower for $4,500. It was a '07. Will pick it up next week. Will report back. Mower seems big sitting in his shed. That would be one big, heavy mower for a 3 pt. I can see why they recommend 80 hp for 3 pt version. Mower was in real good shape with a little surface rust in some areas. I will remove rust and touch it up with rattle can. Has the ungraded air tires which I prefer for road travel.

/ 10' mower on 60 hp JD 4520? #19  
Good deal:thumbsup: Here's hoping those boys don't wrap it around a tree or gate post.

/ 10' mower on 60 hp JD 4520? #20  
Sounds like a great deal. Make you get a chance to play with it (I mean work very hard with it) first.

Aaron Z