Moving portable buildings

/ Moving portable buildings #21  
Sorry you beat me to it. That is what I was trying to say. AS Gary mentioned sketching is better, saves typing.

/ Moving portable buildings
I included in my last post how to make a drawing and add it to your post but I lost it in my revisions somewhere along the way...

Draw your sketch using M.S. Paint and hit File, Save As... and at the bottom of the box where it says Save as type: hit the little arrow, which will open up several choices, and click on Graphics Interchange Format (*gif.) Then up top where it says Save in: click on where you want to put it (like My Documents). Then when you get ready to post check the box that says I want to preview my post and/or attach a file. On the next page click on browse and find the file in your hard drive and add it to the post.

Thanks, Gary. Sounds like a viable option. 'Course I would have to find out how long the cable on the truck is and if he has a snatch block (I don't.) I'll be talking to the truck owner Tuesday so I will ask him what he thinks about your idea.

Thanks again!

Rowski,

Thanks for the safety tips. I may or may not have remembered to do it that way.

/ Moving portable buildings #25  
Chris, this is another reason I like the recovery vehicles. Those boys have all the neat toys; snatch blocks, pulleys, block & tackles, hooks, chains and extensions of every size, shape and description. It's worth having them out once in a while just to see the newest toys. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Good luck with your move and please let me know how it all works out.

We'll give it a whirl and see what happens. Thanks, Gary.

Portable buildings - update

Well, after working Monday and Tuesday and plotting and scheming and watching the rain fall for three days, the sky more or less cleared up today and I got a chance to go over to the lot and survey the scene. The lot for the most part is on high ground so the ground was in pretty good shape but there were several mud holes right at the front of the lot at the entrance and the two buildings were both sitting in about an inch of water so it is definitely too wet to get a truck in anytime soon. That was the bad news. The good news is that the skids on both buildings have holes near the end where an eyebolt can go and that I don't forsee any big obstacles which might keep me from pulling the buildings to the front of the lot. So the gameplan for today was to get the buildings ready to move and pull them to the front of the lot with my tractor and call the truck owner to come by tomorrow or Friday to pick them up.

So I came back to town, stopped by Lowes and spent $42 in shackles, eyebolts and 6" nails and came home and up some 4x4s to length to use as end supports between the skids. I was ready to go pick up my tractor (parked at a friend's house in town the last few days to make it unavailable for a mooching neighbor - but that's another story!) and I needed to make one last stop at my neighbor's house to pick up a length of chain.

I knocked on his door, he answered and I told him what I needed and why. He gave me a funny look and told me (uh, oh - more bad news) that he did not know if I could still take possession of the buildings. I said "Say what?" To make a long story short I misunderstood when was the deadline to get the buildings moved. I thought I had until the end of this week but he informed me that his agreement with the new property owner was that he would have everything that he wanted to keep moved out by the 15th, which was last Sunday. Now, technically the buildings belong to the new owner because they were not removed by the deadline.

Well, crap! Between the rain, work and being misinformed about the deadline the best laid plan of this particular mouse have come to a grinding halt. My neighbor got on the phone and tried to call the guy to see if I could still get the buildings. Of course the fellow was not there and of course he did not return my neighbor's call at all today. So, here I sit fretting and stewing and not knowing if I even own the one building anymore.

Hopefully I wil find something out tomorrow or at least this week. Gonna be a bummer if a bad set of circumstances keeps me from getting a free 10x20 portable building.

I will keep you all posted. Hopefully my next post will have better news.

/ Moving portable buildings #28  
Re: Portable buildings - update

Chris,

Get hold of the new owner and explain in very upbeat and positive terms that you are waiting so as not to do any damage to his lawn but didn't want to delay any longer if you were keeping him from oding something there now and wondered whether he'd prefer you move them now or wait a couple more days until it's dryer. No guarantees this'll work, but it's worth a shot. Good luck. ;o)

Thanks for the upbeat advice, Gary. I am pretty bummed out about the whole deal but I am trying to keep a positive attitude about it.

My neighbor has the phone number and I went over this morning to ask if he had gotten a call back from the guy and my neighbor did not come to the door.... hmmmm. I'm going to keep persuing this until I get an answer, if possible, one way or another. My neighbor told me yesterday that the guy is probably gloating over his good fortune to end up with a free bonus of two buildings. I would like to have a little more faith in human nature and think that the guy will work with me. Next time I see my neighbor I will see if he will give me the phone number.

Thanks again for your support, Gary.

/ Moving portable buildings #30  

Chris, you should be able to get the new owner's address from your municipal taxing authority. Maybe you can track him down that way. There are lots of ways to find someone like this. If that doesn't work, I'll give you some more ideas. Good luck.