Bronze Member

Default Hydraulic Leaks

I am working with a Ford 445 backhoe. It is one stroooooonnnnng machine.

I have a growing leak around the shaft of my front mount hydraulic pump. Are any of the stop-leak fluids worth considering?

Thanks

Default Re: Hydraulic Leaks

Gday Buzzy save the money you would have spent on the stop leak and put it towards replacing the seal in the pump.

Jon

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Branson 2400H, JD X540

Quote Originally Posted by banjodunn View Post
    Gday Buzzy save the money you would have spent on the stop leak and put it towards replacing the seal in the pump.

Jon
    +1 on this

Also check to see why the seal is leaking in the first place.
    Is the drive coupling out of alignment causing the shaft to wobble slightly?
    If this is a pressure compensated pump (cloesed center system) it will have a case drain line on it. Make sure this is not obstructed in any way. Excess pressure on these will cause the seals to leak.

Bronze Member

Thanks for the reply. And your suggestion is my first impulse as well, but I cannot find the seal or the exact pump that I have.

Further - according to all of the documentation I can find, the pump does not seem to come apart to allow servicing.

That is the reason I became curious about the other solution.

Is it possible that the seal drives in from the exterior without disassembling the pump?

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Branson 2400H, JD X540

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzyG View Post
    Thanks for the reply. And your suggestion is my first impulse as well, but I cannot find the seal or the exact pump that I have.

Further - according to all of the documentation I can find, the pump does not seem to come apart to allow servicing.

Is it possible that the seal drives in from the exterior without disassembling the pump?

I just did a search and found a sight that stated the 445 had "open center" hydraulics so the pump is probably a gear type. so yes, it is possible that the seal can be replaced witout dissassembling the pump.

Roy

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzyG View Post

it was put togehter.. unless it is hermetically sealed.. it comes apart.

the seal can be replaced by matching ID of housing, OD of shaft, and width of seal, if you need a generic.

check bushing or beairng as well.. many times seals fail due to a worn bushing or bearing or shaft that is running out of alignment.

soundguy