Grading Uses for Box Blade

/ Uses for Box Blade #1  

rmonio

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 4600, JD B
Hello -

Having looked over Box Blades and Tillers, I'm curious as to the general usage differences between the two. If I was to work a garden - leveling, simple tilling, etc., which would be more useful? A Box Blade or a Tiller? The Box Blade is cheaper - so therefore I'm wondering what kinds of uses people have for them.

Thanks for your help and insight -

-Bob

/ Uses for Box Blade #2  
I don't have a tiller, but we are using our box blade to level the ground prior to topsoil placement. We will also use it to level the topsoil. Another use is for preparing for a gravel driveway. We need to cut out the drive prior to the stone. We will also use it to level the stone and maintain the drive in the future. Those are the things I need to do, but there may be more. I have only had my tractor for 2 days and am still new at this.

/ Uses for Box Blade #3  
rmonio-

<font color=blue>If I was to work a garden - leveling, simple tilling, etc., which would be more useful?</font color=blue>

Well, most all box blades I've ever seen come with scarifier shanks, which serves to break up the soil and "till" it to a degree, but nothing like you would get with a dedicated piece of equipment like a tiller.

I think most folks would agree that a BB is far more flexible than a tiller. I'm not saying a tiller isn't good for what it does, I'm just saying it is a dedicated piece of equipment built for a specific purpose.

BB uses.... Hmm, I'm sure others will add to the list, but some I can think of (or have done) include: Road Building (gravel/rock moving/smoothing, dirt manipulation, drainage ditch construction, etc.), Foundation Preparation (e.g. ground leveling), breaking up packed soil, berm building (in conjunction with the FEL), etc.

Hope this helps.

/ Uses for Box Blade #4  
If you want to till for a garden, get a tiller. If you just want to break up solid ground into large, uneven clumps and level it back out a box blade will work for you. A box blade is a wonderful tool for levelling and maintaining a gravel drive, for example.

/ Uses for Box Blade #5  
Box blades are wonderful implements, but they are really pretty much useless for gardening. If you want to garden, get a tiller. If you want to to level and spread a pile of loose topsoil around, get a boxblade. They really are different implements and have different uses. The ideal garden implement set is what I have: a one bottom moldboard plow to loosen and deep plow soil, and a tiller to work the soil into a planting bed and level the soil.

/ Uses for Box Blade
Thanks for the feedback. Based on what my needs are, I'll probably have to get both a Tiller AND a Box Blade. Both have their uses and would do a nice job for what I'm looking at.

Thanks again.

-Bob

/ Uses for Box Blade #7  
<font color=blue>I'll probably have to get both </font color=blue>

Now THAT'S a good answer! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Uses for Box Blade #8  
I also use my box blade as a counter weight for my FEL. It is over 1000 #.

/ Uses for Box Blade #9  
rmonio-
I agree with prior posts. If you're getting a new tractor, don't foget the loader--not in place of the BB but in addition to it. Loaders are great for countless jobs, saving time and your back. I use them all, and wouldn't want to give any up. Best of luck.

/ Uses for Box Blade
I've got the FEL and I also have a 72" finish mower. I was looking at the Box Blade as a way to work with our garden. I want to scrape it off, put in some new black dirt, and then maintain it as we grow stuff next year. The Box Blade also looks like a nice way to take care of thistles in the pasture...

Oh well. I'll have to get a Box Blade AND a Tiller now. Santa needs a larger sleigh for me.

-Bob