NH 281 Baler timing ????

/ NH 281 Baler timing ???? #11  
No, I mean cleaning the hay out of the chute. And there is no elegant way to do that with a thrower (I"m assuming you got a belt thrower), you just have to loosen up the adjusters, reach in a pull it out a flake at a time. You really only need to get the end of the plunger stoke area clear so you can clearly see the knotters, but the easiest way to that is to pull everything out.

/ NH 281 Baler timing ???? #12  
As said, I wouldn't be afraid to turn it over by hand once all the shear bolts are back in, but I wouldn't put power to it until you checked the timing by the book. No way of knowing of a chain slipped, for instance.

And while you're doing this, you need to keep in mind that you still don't know why all these shear bolts broke. Could be just hadn't been used in a while, old hay was packing too tightly, rusty shear bolts, could be something else. So my advice would be to go through the whole timing procedure making everything is operating freely and smoothly, all the while keeping your eye out for anything else that doesn't look quite right.

/ NH 281 Baler timing ????
Yes it is a belt thrower(not a big fan of them , seem like they throw the bales wayyyy to hard) but how can I check the timing if there is no hay feeding to trip the knotters? or can I trip in manually with out hurting anything? Thanks for a ll the help beeferman:thumbsup:

/ NH 281 Baler timing ???? #14  
Don't know which model thrower you have, but there's always a way to adjust the power of the thrower.

Yes, just trip the knotter manually...

Oh - and you're welcome!

I will be cutting tonight, we have a good stretch of weather it seems :thumbsup: however I also still have my 273 baler, My last question is if I took my 273 i should be able to set it next to that baler and they would have a similar operation right? I want to try to get this fixed asap liek I said my manual wont be in for a couple more days. Ill be baling by then hopefully

/ NH 281 Baler timing ???? #16  
G'day newbee if you have not had the drive chains off the baler then you should not be out of time the shear bolts will allow you to put everything back into place without upsetting the timing. Clear all the old hay out and wind the baler over by hand if all is ok with the plunger then trip the knotters by lifting the metering arm ( the arm that goes to the spiked wheel along the rear chamber), then continue to wind over by hand and watch as the needles enter the knotters ( make sure you have got all the old string out first and tie the loose ends off under the baler) they should feed the string into the knotters and tie off ( you will not get a full knot but it will be ready to tie the next one). Get someone to help you with this next part you need to trip the knotters again while winding over by hand, and as the needles enter the chamber the kneedle tips should be just inside the cutouts of the retreating plunger, as the needles come up carefully grab the loose strings by hand and hold them just tight and as the needles complete their cycle it will get harder to turn over as they tie the knot as they finish you should have two tied loops of string and the needles should return all the way to stop. Make sure your chains are nice and snug as a loose chain will alter timing. Just go slow by hand and be careful and you cannot do any damage. As a further note to any who read this and may find themselves in the same boat we always wind a machine over by hand before operating with any power source it can work out alot cheaper in the long run. BUT AS STATED BE CAREFUL WITH PUTTING YOUR HAND IN A MACHINE EVEN WHEN TURNING OVER BY HAND:eek:. Hope this helps .

Jon

:thumbsup::thumbsup: I just wanted to say thanks for all the help! I was able to get the baler back in time last night and I ran it by hand it seemed good so I hooked it up to the tractor and baled 10 bales with no problems, wouldnt have been able to do it without you guys

Ok so I baled about 400 bales this past weekend, and two different time the baler didnt cut the twine i think ( i found the twine on the ground with three knots in it, it was about 8 ft long) and made the bales miss and blow all over the wagon:mad: What cause this? And is 6 misses in 300 bales alot? Or is that good for an old baler? Thanks again

It is a NH 281

/ NH 281 Baler timing ???? #20  
6 out of 300 or 400 is probably something you can live with, but it shouldn't really miss any, unless some thing really unusual happens.

I think you said you got a manual for that thing now? There should be a section on diagnosing knotter problems. You'll need to examine the bad knot(s) there are several different basic problems listed, figure out which problem you're having and read the causes and check out the solutions....