Rear Ballast Gentlemen, Rear Ballast

/ Rear Ballast Gentlemen, Rear Ballast #31  
Interesting, looks like it adds a good amount of weight. Does it swing around an bang the tractor? That would be my concern seeing it doesn't have a top link.

No it doesn't swing or bang at all. It settles in between the 3 point and stays put. The barrel has a nice lid and I store all my chain in the top. I use it mostly when I am plowing snow or doing a lot of fork work

/ Rear Ballast Gentlemen, Rear Ballast #32  
Thanks for the pics, James. Everything looks pretty straightforward to me except for the top link connection. I am pleased to hear Timber say that she has no problems operating a very similar contraption without a top link. I guess it has to do with placement of the draw bar. If it is high enough, the barrel will not be very tipsy. That, plus having it in close to the 3 pt so there is little room for movement should do the trick. Nicely done, both of you.

Nick

/ Rear Ballast Gentlemen, Rear Ballast #33  
Famah, your welcome. It was fun to build. (with the exception of the welding inside the barrel, with your head stuck in it) The barrel without the concrete weighed about 100 lbs with all the metal I put in it. I used the 4 inch angle-iron, but 2 inch would be fine, I just had the 4 inch in the junk pile. I used a Bosch hole saw for all the hole drilling, and my Bosch jigsaw with an 18tpi blade for the sawing. I used the excell spreadsheet someone posted here a while back, to figure the 3 ph geometry. I did not want the barrel to tip forward with rakes and shovels in the pipe holders and hit me in the head:laughing: It goes up and down pretty straight.:thumbsup:
good luck
James
K0UA

/ Rear Ballast Gentlemen, Rear Ballast #34  
Somebody say "rear ballast?" Old water tank, cut top off, couple holes for chain to come thru (just to hold it on), fill with any scraps of iron, old nuts, bolts, anything heavy, fill with your choice of cheap cement. No idea of the weight, but esp with it that far behind the tires the back end of my 'Bota squate when she picks it up. Total invested? about 3 or 4 bags of quick-crete & about an hour to put it together. P_00499.JPG

Of course the rear tires are 3/4 full of water, too.

/ Rear Ballast Gentlemen, Rear Ballast #35  
Famah, your welcome. It was fun to build. (with the exception of the welding inside the barrel, with your head stuck in it) The barrel without the concrete weighed about 100 lbs with all the metal I put in it. I used the 4 inch angle-iron, but 2 inch would be fine, I just had the 4 inch in the junk pile. I used a Bosch hole saw for all the hole drilling, and my Bosch jigsaw with an 18tpi blade for the sawing. I used the excell spreadsheet someone posted here a while back, to figure the 3 ph geometry. I did not want the barrel to tip forward with rakes and shovels in the pipe holders and hit me in the head:laughing: It goes up and down pretty straight.:thumbsup:

James
K0UA

James ,what was the final weight? Sorry if you already stated it but i didnt see it. Great build by the way! Andy
good luck

/ Rear Ballast Gentlemen, Rear Ballast #36  
James ,what was the final weight? Sorry if you already stated it but i didnt see it. Great build by the way! Andy
good luck

750 Lbs.. I could use about 350 more, Now with a larger tractor, but it is working pretty well.

James K0UA

/ Rear Ballast Gentlemen, Rear Ballast #37  
My 4100 gets 450 pounds, the 4720 gets around 2000 pounds, and the 6430 gets 4000 pounds. :D

/ Rear Ballast Gentlemen, Rear Ballast #38  
Just the few days I have been playing around with the new tractor , and reading up on ballast I can see I need weight on the back. I really have not tried digging or loading rock just pushing brush,logs. Going to get my barrel and get started.

/ Rear Ballast Gentlemen, Rear Ballast #40  
If all four (4 )tires have water in them is this not ok.What is the proper procedure to put water in the tires,they are turf tires