Chain top link

/ Chain top link #31  
I put a chain on the top link of my cutter today. It took me about 3 tries to get the length right, but was pretty satisfied after that. I did have the back of the cutter flip up a foot or so when the front hit something solid. i don't think I like it,but I am going to give it a few more days.

/ Chain top link #32  
When I asked the question it was definitely for use in the context of employing a road grader similar to the one in the photo. I was too soon old and too late smart when I bought my tractor without rear hydros, and so for now am stuck with turn-buckle type top links. With my Road Boss the back end wants to rise and cause unequal force distribution (front blade then does the lion's share of the work). I think that a "soft" top link may allow the grader to ride flat. I have no intention of using chain for pto powered attachments.

/ Chain top link #33  
I would guess that in your case a "soft" top link would make your problem worse.
The purpose of the top link is to adjust and hold the plane of the grader. If you want
to hold the back end down try this: with the tractor level and on a hard surface, and lift arms all the way down, lengthen your top link until you see the front of the grader just start to come up off the ground. Then start grading in the normal way and make further adjustments from there if necessary.
On my grader the back end is quite heavy this helps, but I find the "soft" top link works best after the road surface has been losened or in new gravel.

/ Chain top link #34  
Running the chain thru a short piece of pipe should arrest any deadly jumps, hopefully.

/ Chain top link #35  
If it's flexibility in the top link you're looking for, one way to get it without using chain is to use something like Land Pride does on their 18-series rotary cutters.

There is a short U-shaped piece of steel that goes between the top link and the top of the mower frame. It allows the "link" between the tractor and the mower to sag or flex over high spots in terrain. I've not tried seeing how high it will allow the mower to lift, it may be no better than chain in that respect.

Sean

/ Chain top link #36  
If it's flexibility in the top link you're looking for, one way to get it without using chain is to use something like Land Pride does on their 18-series rotary cutters.

There is a short U-shaped piece of steel that goes between the top link and the top of the mower frame. It allows the "link" between the tractor and the mower to sag or flex over high spots in terrain. I've not tried seeing how high it will allow the mower to lift, it may be no better than chain in that respect.

Sean

The brand Rotary Cutter we sell has that feature as well. Shown below Hawkline 5 ft $895. Ken Sweet

Attachments

• hawkline 5 ft.bmp
    459.2 KB · Views: 312
   / Chain top link #37  
RFB
An additional thought: If you want to know what it would be like with a "soft" top link just remove your top link all together so you have nothing up there.
Go very slow and be careful. From your discription you will probably find that it rolls forward even more,
The only thing the chain does for you is it allows you to pick it up off the ground.

/ Chain top link #38  
My 10 year old king kutter had the same U shaped thing,but it didn't work to my liking,chain was the best for me.

So you tried a chain and than you said you ran up on something solid?? why?? After reading all these posts,?? Raise front up about 6 inches,make rear wheel where cutter is about level,than don't run up on any thing solid again....other wise,put solid top link back on it.[just some suggestions]

/ Chain top link #39  
Broke the rear wheel assembly and vibrated a bolt out of the 3 point frame today on the second day with a chain. I can't say it is directly connected but it is starting to make me wonder.

/ Chain top link #40  
OK. Guess the main use of the chain is to keep the shaft from sliding apart.

I really like having the bush hog trail behind on its wheel all the time. With the top link on instead of a chain, the thing goes bang bang bang all the time on my uneven terrain. Also, I worry about having that heavy thing hanging back there if the rear tires slip (as they did one day) going down hill. That weight could easily cause the whole rear end to slide around easily. If the downhill tire hit something, over it goes.

Ralph