Chain top link

/ Chain top link #41  
Does anyone make pre-fab chain top links, or is it a make your own kinda deal with a very short logging type chain.
TGF never stated his intention for the usage of a chain top link and has not returned to this thread for any further explanation. We don't know if his working ground is level or steep or the attachment is 3-point attached, PTO or hydraulically powered. To me this really makes a difference-my inquiry but not stated in my post pertaines to a York rake on fairly level ground. This thread has shown great input covering a lot of different types of attachments and possible situations. Very learning to me.

/ Chain top link
TGF never stated his intention for the usage of a chain top link and has not returned to this thread for any further explanation. We don't know if his working ground is level or steep or the attachment is 3-point attached, PTO or hydraulically powered. To me this really makes a difference-my inquiry but not stated in my post pertaines to a York rake on fairly level ground. This thread has shown great input covering a lot of different types of attachments and possible situations. Very learning to me.

I have been watching the thread, this was for my rotary cutter to just give it more play some of the hills and dips where I bush hog could probably benefit from a flexible top link.

/ Chain top link
Greetings, been awhile since i posted. I figured I would update this thread. I think I will be staying with the solid top link.

I think I had a near rollover this morning, we will never know since I didn't roll it, however, I think the solid top link played a big part in me not dumping it.

My wife walks the dog along a piece of right of way that over looks the highway near our house. Its very scenic. She asked me this morning when I was heading out to brush hog if I would knock down the stuff along the RoW some 8 ft tall ditch weed and thistles. to give her and the dog more room and to restore some of the view.

I have never mowed or even driven the RoW but in my times walking it I remember it being pretty much flat.

I was driving nice and slow using the FEL bucket to knock over the plants and the brush hog was doing a fine job of pulverizing them. I couldn't see the ground where I was driving into because of the density and height of the weeds. All of a sudden the tractor tipped about 3 inches down on the front left wheel and stopped moving. I took my foot off the forward pedal and at about that point I noticed the front left wheel was not in contact with any thing. I looked behind me and the left edge of the mower had dug in deep to the ground and the rear wheel and right edge were in the air.

I took a moment to think about my situation and decided the best thing to do was lower the FEL into the ground and try to back up, after disengaging the PTO. I was able to back up just a bit then got stuck again I had to raise the mow deck a bit to back out completely.

Anyhow, I think if I had a flexible top link, it would have enabled me to drive right into the hole as the mow deck would have probably just folded up rather than dig in.

/ Chain top link #44  
I am sure glad you came out ok. Over my 50 years of running tractors on the farm, I can't count the times the solid toplink has saved my bacon. I like limited flex, however, I like it to be built into the machine. Ken Sweet

Last edited:
   / Chain top link #45  
Sounds to me like your top link stuck you,if you hadn't had a solid top link it probably woulda just came up out of hole.Or back woulda came up and than slammed back down,waking you up..:D

But thats just a thought,and your right,if you are mowing on unknown ground with out walking it,with holes rocks stumps and whatever in it,you should be using solid top link.

And your right again, mowing with chain toplink on known stump/rock free ground does make for a more even cut.

/ Chain top link #46  
Broke the rear wheel assembly and vibrated a bolt out of the 3 point frame today on the second day with a chain. I can't say it is directly connected but it is starting to make me wonder.

We are much more likely to break the rear wheel assembly with a SOLID top link, which offers no movement (other than raising the entire implement and lower links too) when encountering an object or severe incline for the tractor. The flexible top link REDUCES the possibility of bending something during these situations.

/ Chain top link #47  
Where did you buy theh logging choker and cable slider at? I like the looks of that top link because it is real easy to change the length when switching implements.

1" ID Cable Slider and 3/8" Grab Link Assembly available from:
Silver Lake Fabrication
(603) 630-5658
Silver Lake Fabrication - Belmont, NH - 603-630-5658 - CHOKER CHAINS, CABLES, HOOKS, AND SUPPLIES

SLF's web page is cranky....at least accessing it is cranky when accessing from an Apple, so you may have to call.
SLF does not accept credit cards (June 2012) but they will invoice through PAYPAL.

1/2" ID Cable Slider and 5/16" Grab Link Assembly available from:
Sheldon Hill Forestry Supply
Sheldon Hill Forestry Supplies Inc.: CHOKE GLIDER

Last edited: