Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Can you top this? Hope not...

Hi again!

Well, no one was home to hear the crash, but my daughter came home just afterwards and she told my wife when the wife got home, while I was getting some buckets of crushed limestone spread on the driveway...[img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The part I did not mention was that the windows are home made, two sheets of 1/4 inch plate glass, seperated by an air space...EXCEPT for two that are not finished yet, and only have one pane of glass in them. These are behind my table saw and require that I do a lot of work to move the saw and other stuff to clear access for the installation of the inside sheet of glass...so I have put off putting the second pane of glass in them. Lucky for me, I broke one of these that were waiting for the second pane of glass to be installed in it. Major tears would have been falling [from MY eyes] if I had broke on of the windows with two sheets of glass in them!

Sooooo....since the house is my design and built by my hands only [except for the block work done by a friend, since I knew it would use a whole summer for me to do it myself]...breaking the window was not a major deal...Not sure what a piece of glass like that costs these days but it should not be too bad...no where near the cost of a ready made window that size.

Live and learn...From now on I am going to try to mostly move the tractor in the forward direction!

Bill

Silver Member
    Tractor
    None In decision Mode

When I was in High School in the early 70's I got a job as a painters helper in a GM dealership. One of my jobs was to move the cars around in our basement bodyshop of a building that was made for Model T's. There all kinds of big concrete pillers that required the huge gas hogs of the 70's to be parked at odd angles. One day the boss tells me to move that new caddy into another stall. Pulled up and backed her in. Thought I was a little close to another car so I pulled up and backed in again. As I was backing up I saw another car move that shouldn't be moving! Got out to look and my heart dropped to the floor. I had not put one crease from the middle of the door all the way to the taillight on this Brand New White Cadallic that belonged to the biggest, baddest lawyer in town. I had put TWO creases in it!

The boss saw me standing there looking at the car with my career as a painter ending before my very eyes and burst out laughing! "Did you just wreck that car?" he yelled. What could I say. I just shook my head yes. He came over and looked at still laughing. "Don't worry about it, it happens to all of us one time or another." he said.

Got a lot of ribbing from the other guys for a while and the lawyer wasn't to happy but we fixed it and that was that. Some of the other guys had stories even better than mine!

Mike

Tractor
    Kioti CK20 HST

I think we all have stories like that. Sometimes the stupid alarm goes off and you just don't hear it! [img]/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Bronze Member

"Nobody got hurt" = "no big deal"

Stay safe,
    Paul

cj7
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    L2500

Mine is backing up too. Happened just last week before going away on a long weekend trip. I was backing down my lane (which I do not do often) and as I stopped at the bottom, the truck stopped abruptly. I though what the? Then I realized and looked in the mirror to see the telephone pole right against my truck. I though oh &^%$ there goes the bumper, tailgate, bed corner, tailight, cap, lift gate on the cap. So, I pulled up and looked. I only got the bumper and the corner of the bed tight behind it. Needless to say I was happy about that. Since I needed the truck to tow my wifes jeep to an event!
    I had just got the truck back from the body shop only a couple of weeks before. It was repaired from hitting a deer. Oh Well!

I think I am going to pile a mound of dirt by the pole. Another job for the FEL! I hope the utility does not mind.

Tractor
    Kubota's, John Deere's

I had this cypruss too close to the house. It was blocking the view to my wife's new project. So she wanted it down, so I took it down.

I use to ride the truck by it as I turned the corner by the house. The branches would just touch the passenger side as I went by. it was shall we say "a point of reference".

Needless to say, I took it out leaving the stump about 8 - 12 inches high.

I pull around the house one day to drop some material. On the way out, my point of refence is no longer there. "What's THAT noise?" Stop. Noise gone. Start. Moving forward .... "noise again.... ahhh, keep going......."
    rippppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp pop

Yep. Fender panel all the way to tail gate. Nice gash!

Still haven't fixed it. Took the stump out shortly thereafter.
    [img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    -Mike Z.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    JD 4310 e-hydro

Mines close. JD4310, keep it in my shop for now until a get the out building done. Std. gargage door with a south western style door opener (not used here in the East cause of snow, but works fine on my shop, plus I could use the old barn door to look good). I've said a million times to myself to "fold the rops, fold the rops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Well, i was heading for the shop, and said "fold the rops" BUT I heard my 4 yrd old boy crying, stopped the tractor to see if all was OK (he was OK), got back to the tractor a little stressed, pressed the go pedal and SMASH. Took the door and pushed it in 3-4 ft. before the tractor stopped. Bent the steel arms like pretzels, smashed a light, took out the gargare opener. The tractor never even missed a beat or even got light in the front, I think it would have done some serious damage to the gargage frame and wall in just another foot. WHEW!!!! all fixed now, rebent and fixed all but the opener. Pretty cheap lesson. Now there's a big real ROPE hanging from the door that has to hit ME before I go in.

cj7
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    L2500

hmmmm made me think of another story.

A friend of mine is a Township Supervisor. One of his men was out plowing snow and proceeded to turn around in a residents driveway. They are not allowed to do this. The lady called the twp. and asked if they had a truck out. They said yes. She says he just backed into my house! They called in the truck and questioned the driver. He dinied the incident. Of course he was caught since parts of the house were hanging on the spreader still. He had backed right into the center divider of the double garage of a split-level house. Buckled the floor in the kitchen too. The lady was in the kitchen at the time of the incident!

Tractor
    NH 1630 W-7308 FEL/ Kubota L4630GSTC W-LA853 FEL WQ/A-CC 2544

It is amazing what some of these drivers will deny after hitting something. At a business I used to work at a Crosstown Delivery Driver delivered a package to our store. When backing up, he hit my wife's car and pushed the front end sideways about a foot. Of course, when the police caught up with him, he denied it. But there were two employees across the street who had seen him hit it.

Tractor
    ford 3000,case SI..Just purchased a 404 Futon (40 hp 4wd) with a koyker FEL

rotflmao..naw..i`d never admitt to doing ANYTHING stupid..but..wanna know how far an articulating Michigan loader with a 12' bucket can move a cinder block garage with a 13' door..while pushing in a 10 ton tri axle with froxen brakes ..in january..-10 deg..needless to say BOTH ft garage doors were totaled..sigh,not a happy mechanic..lol.. Sid

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast