Can you top this? Hope not...

/ Can you top this? Hope not... #1  

Anonymous Poster

Well, I know we all do it, more or less...

Here's my tail...yep, spelled right...between my legs at the moment.../w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Drove the B2910 up to the parking area, that is on the ground level, to wash some of the mud off the backhoe and loader. The backhoe was pinned and locked. For some reason I decided to raise the stick to make it easier to wash the mud off...

The tractor was facing the house. THe house is built into a slope and has a lot of windows on the south side where me and the tractor were. The basement is above ground on two sides, and has 10 4x6 foot plate glass windows, 7 on the south side and 3 on the west.

After a quick hose job, I get on the tractor, take the time to put on my safety belt, even though I am only going to back down around a pine tree and down a little slope to the basement level. I figure I will park the tractor outside tonight. Usually I pull up towards the basement front ways, but this evening I will back up.

I am almost ready to stop, but decide to back up a little more to get off a soft spot in the grass. I know how far out the backhoe extends, and I still have pleanty of room.

Crash.../w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif...backhoe busts through one of my plate glass windows!

/w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif/w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif/w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif

Forgot that I had raised the stick when washing the tractor and did not lower it afterwards!

/w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

Added an hour and a half to my day, removing/cleaning up the broken glass and covering the hole with plywood...

Bill in Pgh, Pa...

/ Can you top this? Hope not... #2  
I know folks that back into parking spots until they hear glass break. I didn't know that it was the procedure with tractors too.

/ Can you top this? Hope not... #3  
Man!! That is got to be one of the worse sounds anyone could hear backing up like that.

I did a dumb thing because I thought I was being smart, instead I was being lazy. I usually start the truck in the morning, put the horse out to pasture and leave for work.

The truck is a standard transmission you only have to have the clutch depressed to start the engine. I opened the door and decided not to get all the way into the truck, so I pushed the clutch in with the right foot and turned the key to start.

The engine came to life and I took my foot off the clutch, but I forgot to place the shift lever in the netural position. The truck lurched foward and bumped the back of my son's car before I could stop it.

I kicked myself for several days after that for being so stupid and lazy.

They say stuff happens but I think many times we give it a helping hand.

Randy

/ Can you top this? Hope not... #4  
Nope cant top that one

/ Can you top this? Hope not... #5  
/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif That must have been gut wrenching feeling. /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif

BH thru a window..I don't believe there any post like that here.

/ Can you top this? Hope not... #6  
Bill
I have a list of thing to check when using different attachments collected from TBN posts. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif This one just pushed it over 2 pages. /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif
I don’t want to think of the feeling that would come to my stomach after an event like that. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

/ Can you top this? Hope not... #7  
Bill,

Don't knock yourself out over it, because stuff like that happen. Since you did it once, I'm sure you'll know better next time. We learn from our mistakes. I know its not quite as costly, but the first time I used my brand new pressure washer, I burned a hole in the pressure hose. I wasn't watching it, and pulled the hose right onto the hot muffler. I felt like crap. That miscue cost me, about $30, and a lot of heckling from my wife. Plus a day of working with the washer till I got a new hose. Anyway I found a better way to make sure it doesn't happen again. Its the only way to learn. Good Luck with the Window Repair.

Kent

/ Can you top this? Hope not... #8  
I was working to empty a Peugeut warehouse when I was much younger and working as a laborer. They had a bunch of windshields sort of stacked along the floor. I was alone and operating a forklift with not very good brakes. While backing up, well, you know what happened.
There was a big bang and a bunch of the windshields (I reckon the rest of my summer's pay) went boom. So I frantically got a broom and swept up all the tiny fragments and put them into a big Peugeot parts box. Its surprising how many windshields fit into a box once they shatter into little pieces.
I labeled the box "Windshield Kits" and shipped it to France.
Hopefully, somebody over there could read english, and had a sense of humor!

/ Can you top this? Hope not... #9  
Oh no! That's a bummer, Bill. I hope the wife doesn't ground you for it. ; ) I'd like to meet you Sat...

- Gerald

/ Can you top this? Hope not... #10  
nope ! can't beat that, don't want to try either! hope the damage was only glass. what did your wife say! and don't wipp yourself over it, we all have done less than smart things./w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif