Is it a SCUT or a CUT?

/ Is it a SCUT or a CUT? #1  

Johndeere3720

Padawan Tractor Learner, Advertiser
Tractor
Bobcat T62, MT55, E42R, E10, John Deere 4100
After some thought, I wondered what category my yanmar would be in. A SCUT or a CUT? What do you think? I've parked it next to my Grandpa's and neighbor's SCUTs for a size comparison. Yet it also is around the same size as my neighbor's old 4100.

Attachments

• 1-27-10 015.jpg
    1-27-10 015.jpg
    983.8 KB · Views: 449
  • 1-9-10 048.jpg
    1-9-10 048.jpg
    937.4 KB · Views: 419
   / Is it a SCUT or a CUT? #2  
The poor Deere, she needs a bath.

Is the category really important? Or are you trying to win a bet? :D

/ Is it a SCUT or a CUT?
The poor Deere, she needs a bath.

Is the category really important? Or are you trying to win a bet? :D

It is just out of curiosity.

/ Is it a SCUT or a CUT? #4  
I don't think it is a CUT, how about calling it a SCUT on steroides?

/ Is it a SCUT or a CUT? #6  
Does it have a full CAT1 3PH? If yes then it is a CUT in my opinion. The tractors with a "Limited" 3PH are usually considered SCUT's.

/ Is it a SCUT or a CUT? #7  
Does it have a full CAT1 3PH? If yes then it is a CUT in my opinion. The tractors with a "Limited" 3PH are usually considered SCUT's.

My MF gc2400 has a full cat. 1 hitch. The New Hollands also have the full cat 1 hitch. I believe both are SCUTS.

Still not sure why they put limited cat. 1 on JD, Kubota and Cub/Yanmar.

Don

/ Is it a SCUT or a CUT? #8  

That's as good a way to explain the difference as I can think of. I had a Kubota BX that had a limited 3 PH then I bought a slightly larger B2620 that had a full CAT1 3PH. The full CAT1 3PH was one of the reasons I the traded for the 2620. I consider the 2620 a compact tractor. In retrospect the BX was a sub compact. In my opinion the designation is actually redundant.

/ Is it a SCUT or a CUT? #9  
Kennyd I never heard of "Limited" 3PH, what is it? I know what Cat 0,1,2 & 3 are. I would say SCUT has more to do with the frame and tire size. They could have Cat 0 or Cat 1 3pt, some could have high HP so HP can go into the CUT's.

/ Is it a SCUT or a CUT? #10  
This opinion is not necessarily accurate or legitimate. It is just what I have rolling around in my head.

It seems that the SCUTs have a lawn mowing component in their heritage. I know they have evolved to be able to do much more than this, but the very small wheels, coupled with the belly-mower wheelbase defines a SCUT for me.

While your tractor is certainly capable of mowing activities, it was clearly not designed with this as a primary consideration. The larger tires and ground clearance suggests to me that your machine was designed with ground engaging implements in mind. So if I was forced in to the classification game, I would call your tractor a CUT.

Kenny probably has a better set of criteria than I do. :thumbsup: