Is it too early to take off my MMM ?

/ Is it too early to take off my MMM ? #1  

Steelfan

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC21D
Well, I've been thinking for the last week about taking off my MMM. The grass is dead, and only growing in spots, and I want to service the MMM, and get my FEL on. I also have a friend , who said he would help me service my Tractor. I'd like to have the MMM off the tractor to do that. Has anyone else taken their MMM for the year yet? I'm worried about getting some good rain, and the grass growing again. Also the friend, who is going to help service my tractor is a deisel mechanic, and said that he services his Satoh Tractor in the Fall, and in the Spring. Anyone think that maybe overkill? I know its not going to hurt anything, but I don't want to over do it. Thanks

Kent

/ Is it too early to take off my MMM ? #2  
Kent,

Yes it is too early to take it off for the year

However, it is a realatively simple task

5-10 minutes off
10-15 minutes on

Here are some tips

1. Set the castors to a cutting height of 2"
2. Drop mower down on hard surface (garage floor or asphalt drive) Note, put position control all the way forward
3. Turn front wheels to right
4. remove 4 support pins on mower deck
5. Pin rear supports up in "transport" position
6. remove front supports (little pins on top and the elbows come off)
7. detach driveshaft
8. Remove mower to left side of tractor. If you wiggle it just right, you can get it out w/o lifting the front end.

To reassemble, I'm 90% sure that it is easier to hook up the front supports first, then the rear. It might be the other way around (but one way is easier than the other)
I pretty much follow the steps in reverse, except that I save the driveshaft for last

With today's multigrade oils, I'd follow the manual's recommendations on service. If I remember correctly, there are a couple of things to change annually (coolant and airfilter come to mind)

/ Is it too early to take off my MMM ?
Hey Hazmat,

That was a great step by step. I have taken my MMM off before, but its always great to see how others do it. Sometimes you can pickup some tips. I thinking of dropping my MMM onto a bread dolly. My Dad was a bread man for Holsum, and has a dolly in his garage. It will I think be perfect for sitting under the MMM, and diconnecting, and connecting. What do you think? MMM on wheels. Thanks for the reply.

Kent

/ Is it too early to take off my MMM ? #4  
I'm not sure what a bread dolley is, but is it thin? You want the deck to be sitting at about the 2" cutting level so the gearbox clears when you pull it out.

Hazmat,

You're right it may be too high. I'll have to check that out. Thanks

Kent

/ Is it too early to take off my MMM ? #6  
I'm near you, and I usually mow till all the leaves are off the trees. Packing the deck away for the Winter happens around the end of October for me. The last duty is sees for the year is often chopping/blowing leaves.......................chim

/ Is it too early to take off my MMM ? #7  
I've been pondering that question too.

I have a front snowblower and have to take off the MMM hardware and put the blower hardware on (I have a Kubota B7500). It's a PIA and once it's done for the season, I don't want to put it back on just to mow one more time.

I've only mowed once in past five weeks. I figure I'll mow it once more this weekend and that should be it. Most of what's grown is just weeds.

Kind of psychological too - if I do it, that means summer's over!

/ Is it too early to take off my MMM ? #8  
After taking MMM off every week or two, I found
a good way to make it easier for 1 person.
The caster wheel spindles hit bottom of tractor unless u
weave your way out.
Un hook 2 front pins and pull front wheels up on a short pc. of
RR tie (gives 8" of lift).
I pull rear pins and pto shaft off.
Since the lift is spring loaded it automaticly raises up.
Roll mower straight out.
Got it down to 5 min. each way.

/ Is it too early to take off my MMM ? #9  
u can take it off, but be advised that as soon as u do the rain will come and the grass will grow. i don't normally put my stuff away till about mid or late october, there was a time about 3 years ago i had to mow right up till mid nov. but that was a n exception.

Well Guys,

You all gave some great comments. I'm going to put the FEL on the tractor, and keep the MMM on till the end of Oct. I do have 2 garden tractors to mow with if I would take the MMM off, but I can't bring myself to have my TC sitting, while I'm mowing with a Garden Tractor. I need Seat Time. Also Thanks for the suggestions on taking the MMM off. I had trouble putting it back on the last time, but I think the ground wasn't level where I did it. Thanks again Guys.

Kent