Mowing Hinomoto N209 mowing

/ Hinomoto N209 mowing #1  

NEWashington

Tractor
Hinomoto N209
I have a Hinomoto N209 tractor. I am having an issue while running a brush hog type mower. The PTO and tractor gearbox seem to be connected and the clutch only separates those items from the motor. When I push in the clutch on the tractor it keeps moving forward until the blade on the mower stops turning. This has caused a few panic moments and makes direction changes a real pain. If you push in the clutch and get the tractor out of gear, you can not get it back into gear until the mower stops turning which takes for ever, it must have good bearings and gear box along with a lot of cetifigul force keeping things moving. The best way to change directions is depress the clutch and mash the brakes until everything stops, then shift the shuttle and let the clutch out again.

I have driven many tractors over the years, but have not experienced this before. I am actually thinking to sell this tractor and get something else because of it. Am I missing something on this tractor or is that how it works on the N209?

/ Hinomoto N209 mowing #3  
Am I missing something on this tractor...

Actually, you are missing something. You need an overrunning clutch rigged to your PTO shaft.
The overrunning clutch prevents that cutter's momentum from driving back through the cutter's drive shaft into your Hinomoto's PTO. They're commonly used on old American iron like Ford 8N's.
I'm really surprised your Hinomoto requires one. Must be pretty old or a grey market machine.
Anyway, here's some more info on how overruning clutches work.

Before you go out and buy one, make sure you know what size your tractor's PTO shaft splines are.

/ Hinomoto N209 mowing
It is a grey market machine, but it is not supposed to be that old of a tractor. I have had it for about 4 years now, but only tilled and chipped with the PTO. neither of those pieces of equipment made me notice. I till slow and the thing stops fast. Of course I only chip with the tractor stationary, so never noticed that either. Thanks for the info. I will look into that piece.

/ Hinomoto N209 mowing #6  
By the way, if you have a Tractor Supply Company store near you, you should be able to pick up an overrunning clutch there. I would not do any more bush hogging until you get one, the added stopping distance caused by the bush hog driving the tractor forward can be dangerous. Also check to make your PTO shaft is not too long after installing the clutch.

Another added advantage of the overrunning clutch is you can get the bush hog spinning with the tractor in neutral, then push the tractor clutch in, shift into gear, and let the clutch out to start the tractor moving. This is easier on the tractor than trying to start the tractor and bush hog at the same time.