It's just torture....

/ It's just torture.... #21  
If you want to get rid of the leaves of the poison ivy plant, use a 1 part bleach - 2 part water mix and spray them. The bleach reacts with the oil and the leave is exposed. The vine lives on, only herbicide can get that. But most plants don't mind being sprayed so it's a good way to just get rid of the ivy. Be sure to clean the sprayer when you're done with it- that bleach will eat it up.

The oil in the ivy is a base (vs. an acid). So you get a base burn when your skin is exposed to the oil. That's why it takes a while for the effects to show up. So the bleach on the skin reacts with the oil and stops the burning process. The sooner you get the bleach on it, the less of a burn you will have. There is also an immune system response to the oil. Nasty stuff!

Congrats on the new tractor !

Pete

/ It's just torture.... #22  
Gargle with Jack Daniels four times a day. No need to spit it out. The poison ivy won't hurt near as much. This also works for sprains, strains, mild annoyances with in-laws. Stuffs a bloody miracle drug.

/ It's just torture.... #23  
Congratulations on the new tractor! Kubota is fantastic machine.

Go to your doctor and get a script for steroids. Over and done in a day or two. Just becareful while taking them. You will "need" to do way more than you normally do.

/ It's just torture....
Thank you all for your replies, and especially for your congratulations on my new tractor. Got on the steroids yesterday, and have already noticed that I am leaking less. I might venture out today and start playing with the loader. I want to get smooth with curling/raising and dumping/lowering.

Speaking of which, I was hoping that our local Cooperative Extension might offer some tractor classes. Yes, I know that I can eventually figure out just about everything by my lonesome. But I have watched seasoned operators, and have been in awe. My thinking is if someone totally green like me could spend 8-10 hours watching, hearing explanations, playing under supervision, and getting feedback, the learning curve could be greatly improved. So far, I have found nothing.

On the poison ivy front, here is a story that I have heard from several different old timers: They said that when they were children, they had bad reactions to poison ivy. In response, their parents made them eat some of the leaves. They said it made them completely immune to the stuff. They said afterward, they could walk through it with no problems.

Now I'm not running out and making a salad for lunch, but it makes me wonder. Why didn't their throats swell shut? Why didn't they get severe stomach problems? And is there a chance it really works???

Take care all, and thanks again for your well wishes.

Nick

/ It's just torture.... #25  
Speaking of which, I was hoping that our local Cooperative Extension might offer some tractor classes. Yes, I know that I can eventually figure out just about everything by my lonesome. But I have watched seasoned operators, and have been in awe. My thinking is if someone totally green like me could spend 8-10 hours watching, hearing explanations, playing under supervision, and getting feedback, the learning curve could be greatly improved. So far, I have found nothing.

On the poison ivy front, here is a story that I have heard from several different old timers: They said that when they were children, they had bad reactions to poison ivy. In response, their parents made them eat some of the leaves. They said it made them completely immune to the stuff. They said afterward, they could walk through it with no problems.

Now I'm not running out and making a salad for lunch, but it makes me wonder. Why didn't their throats swell shut? Why didn't they get severe stomach problems? And is there a chance it really works???

Take care all, and thanks again for your well wishes.

Nick

I know of no classes, but agree that they are needed much like the ATV safety courses. Ys, you can and will learn to operate your tractor safely and effectively, but some training sure would speed it along. I have been operating tractors for over fifty years and am still not to the point I would like and probably never will.

As to the Poison Ivy, I don't think there is any validity to the claims and would discuss any options with your doctor; don't think desensitization with this works like it would with snake venom and such.

/ It's just torture.... #26  
Hi! I shurely would not eat it.... Maybe they had nothing because we have acid in the stomach??? but what about their lips ...If you burn poison ivy, the smoke will carry it , if smoke touches your skin, you will have it, if you breathe it it will harm your lungs badly and may cause your death.
I had it 3 times in 2 years ..had to have a cortisone treatment every time ..( pills and cream)...since then I fight it with herbicide ,the plants go brown but the next springs they come back.....but it is a fight to the finish. Good luck

/ It's just torture.... #27  
I get poison ivy each summer now, have some as I type. The only relief I've found for the itchy is super hot water. Will make it itch like you've never felt anything itch before, crazy adrenalin rush. But once you do it you'll get relief for quite a long time.

The super hot water (as hot as I can stand) exhausts the histamines, which is what causes the itchy feeling. Takes a while for them to build back up.

The only way I can fall asleep some nights.

Joel

It's nice to see some good info, here. So many ivy threads turn into some serious acts of gore.

Since the skin is broken and an infection has set in, the OP certainly shouldn't be following any on-line remedies.:laughing: But... The histamine and adrenalin references are very important... More to the point, histamines and endorphins. The hot shower will release the histamines as well as produce endorphins, resulting in relief. It also opens the pours and releases the oil. After a hot shower, when there's still a bit of weeping from the ivy sores, I'll dab alcohol to dry it up and then cover up in baby/talcum powder. The powder at the end seems to help prevent the spread, as any weeping is immediately absorbed.

/ It's just torture.... #28  
I've eaten a leaf or too,[just to show off],,when I was in my teens,,rubbed it on my arms and face,,,maybe a little reaction but not much,,now I could probably sleep naked in it and not be as bad off as you appear to be.

Its probably that you wern't exposed to it when you were growing up?

Kinda like farm kids are not near as often allergic to animals,and if you've ever messed with bees,you know that the more you get stung[not talking 20-30 stings at a time],but a sting here and there every couple of weeks for a period,the less reaction you have to their sting.

/ It's just torture.... #29  
I can walk through poison Ivey or poison oak in flip flops and shorts and nothing..no reaction..I have always been immune but my wife, son, daughter in law are all suseptible to it..My daughter in law got deathly ill form just breathing the smoke one day when my son was burning it. Mosquitos never bother to bite me either...I don't know whether to be happy or wonder if I am toxic to the Ivey and the skeeters...LOL

/ It's just torture.... #30  
I get poison ivy each summer now, have some as I type. The only relief I've found for the itchy is super hot water. Will make it itch like you've never felt anything itch before, crazy adrenalin rush. But once you do it you'll get relief for quite a long time.

The super hot water (as hot as I can stand) exhausts the histamines, which is what causes the itchy feeling. Takes a while for them to build back up.

The only way I can fall asleep some nights.

Joel

+1 for hot water. I do it morning and evening and it really helps. Plus it is amazing sensation when the hot water hits the inflamed spot.