Question for haymakers

/ Question for haymakers #11  
Can't even call bale's of hay stupid anymore,,,,,what's next ?

/ Question for haymakers #12  
Can't even call bale's of hay stupid anymore,,,,,what's next ?

If you can't grin while you're sayin' it - nope... :D

AKfish

/ Question for haymakers #13  
The answer to his question does he have enough hp for a big square baler the answer is no he needs minimum 150 hp MFWD tractor for a big square baler . If he was doing round bales he has enough hp if the fields are fairly level and no big hills .

150 is good but ~100 is the min.

He certainly doesn't need MFWD to bale hay.

/ Question for haymakers #14  
I guess I didn't "pick up" on the big Square bale question... Not nearly as many outfits that use the big squares - just figured he meant rounds!

The big square balers cost 2.5X more than a big round balers and you need a 1.5X larger tractor. That means you gotta have 5X more money!!!

AKfish

/ Question for haymakers #15  
I guess I didn't "pick up" on the big Square bale question... Not nearly as many outfits that use the big squares - just figured he meant rounds!

The big square balers cost 2.5X more than a big round balers and you need a 1.5X larger tractor. That means you gotta have 5X more money!!!

AKfish

I think we're moving to all square though as they are 2x easier to sell !

/ Question for haymakers #16  

AKfish

Better recalculate your math. :laughing:

After making and using big squares I hate to even think about using rounds. To me round bales are almost as primitive as small squares.

/ Question for haymakers #17  
Can someone exlpain the benefit of large squares? The only time I see them around here is the occasional truckload on the interstate, so I'm not familiar. One of the benefits of big rounds is being able to store them outside. Other than stackability for people with the barn space, I can't think of any benefit of the large squares. They sure look nice, but that only goes so far. :)

/ Question for haymakers #18  
G'day in the long run it's up to personal preference be it small or large, square or round it is what suits your operation. Over here we farm just on 1000 acres and we make and use all three, small squares are used to feed stock in holding pens and yards, rounds are stored in outlaying paddocks where there is no shedding and we can use our trailing self loading feeder, large squares are used from the house block where the fel is usually located. As far as hp goes we ran a NH 2000 baler behind an Inter 1466 and a NH BR 740 behind an Inter 786/ Belarus 920 have also run the NH super 69 behind the ford 3000 ( alright on the flat going ) MFWD is not a neccessity but would be nice for the extra braking in some hills, the smallest hp req i have seen is about 115 for a NH 12xx series but this is usually the bare min and running on flat ground.

/ Question for haymakers #19  
I'm sure others remember the small rounds? Now THOSE were stupid. :D

/ Question for haymakers #20  
Can someone exlpain the benefit of large squares? The only time I see them around here is the occasional truckload on the interstate, so I'm not familiar. One of the benefits of big rounds is being able to store them outside. Other than stackability for people with the barn space, I can't think of any benefit of the large squares. They sure look nice, but that only goes so far. :)

Think labor saving over small bales, being able to stack them in a barn to save from rot and mold, shipping them.

Trust me, this is a lot better than tossing small squares any day!

Attachments

• grapple_hay1.JPG
    grapple_hay1.JPG
    959.1 KB · Views: 105
  • grapple_largeSquare.jpg
    grapple_largeSquare.jpg
    630.3 KB · Views: 98