Question for haymakers

/ Question for haymakers #21  
Can someone exlpain the benefit of large squares? The only time I see them around here is the occasional truckload on the interstate, so I'm not familiar. One of the benefits of big rounds is being able to store them outside. Other than stackability for people with the barn space, I can't think of any benefit of the large squares. They sure look nice, but that only goes so far. :)

Easier to handle and transport, isn't a "wide load".

Better stacking in a shed or barn.

Can be fed in slices like a small square, doesn't require special equipment to break the bale down or unroll it for TMR mixers.

Less waste at the feeder since the whole bales doesn't have to be fed.

Better leaf retention.

Higher capacity baling.

I am sure there are more.

I don't buy into the thought of storing round hay outside, any hay worth baling is worth storing under cover.

/ Question for haymakers #22  
Better recalculate your math. :laughing:

After making and using big squares I hate to even think about using rounds. To me round bales are almost as primitive as small squares.

Yah, you're probably right.. I should have considered $100,000+ for a new, big Square baler and $140,000+ for a new, 150hp 4x4 tractor with loader!

Likely comes out at 6X...

And if you get really serious about big squares - then you need a telehandler and a self-propelled bale wagon.

Hate to guess what those might run...

But -- if you're cutting 1,500 acres of irrigated alfalfa for export to Japan -- well, it's just "economy of scale"!! :D

AKfish

/ Question for haymakers
I am a small operation.

I buy the large bales and handle them with a L5030HSTC. Hay spike on the front to move them, then bucket with grapple jaw to "bite" a chunk off and then feed. Much easier to feed from the AC cab when its 100+ in the summer, and hip deep snow in the winter.

/ Question for haymakers #24  
I don't buy into the thought of storing round hay outside, any hay worth baling is worth storing under cover.

Maybe it's a regional thing. It's very rare for folks around here to have storage space to store hundreds of round bales. That's the whole point of round bales.

/ Question for haymakers #25  
Here is what the guy uses to bale my hay. Tractor is 180hp JD8200. Glad this crop turned out OK. I lost the entire first crop because we only had 7 dry days in the month of June :mad:.

Attachments

• DSC_0522 baler.jpg
    DSC_0522 baler.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC_0534 haying.jpg
    DSC_0534 haying.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 114
   / Question for haymakers #26  
Sorry about your hay crop.

What is the tank on the back of the baler for? I've seen them going down the road, but never in operation.

Thanks.

/ Question for haymakers #27  
Maybe it's a regional thing. It's very rare for folks around here to have storage space to store hundreds of round bales. That's the whole point of round bales.

The whole point?

Sorry, I just can't get past wasting that much valuable feed.

/ Question for haymakers #28  
The whole point?

Sorry, I just can't get past wasting that much valuable feed.

Yes, the whole point that I'm aware of?
Maybe you don't feed or store all that much hay. Or, maybe you have more storage space than most people. I stole this pic from another website. How would you store this much hay?

/ Question for haymakers #29  
Sorry, forgot picture.

Attachments

• 071.jpg
    071.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 140