Question for haymakers

/ Question for haymakers #41  
Is that reclaimed Ohio Power land?? Looks like some of ground between Cumberland and Reinersville.

No, that's somewhere out West, though I can't recall where. You're right, it does resemble that area.

/ Question for haymakers #42  
Some people do indeed store and feed that much hay. You don't feed thousands of cattle all winter with 50 round bales.

I was just being a wiseguy and even if I wasn't I'm not always right...just ask my wife. :laughing:

/ Question for haymakers #43  
We bailed round bails for years using a Ford 4100 diesel which is around 45 HP. He will be fine.

/ Question for haymakers #44  
Around here cattle operations don't use much hay, Silage (grass, corn, or baleage) is where its at. Don't need a shed for that. Small squares are the most valuable for the horse market but lots of people have gone to the large rounds, don't see many large squares, but we are a little behind.

Part of the country where I grew up averages 16" of rainfall/year. There was some corn silage put up - (more silage in that area now) - but it was mostly grazing and hay and winter wheat, small grains.

Big acreage - if you only had 2 sections - you were just starting out. Mostly still that way with some increase in corn, soybean production based on greatly improved genetics and weather changes, too - more humidity and summer moisture.

Still have cousins living there with cow-calf operations. All big rounds.

That's where I bought a low-use, shedded JD 336 small square baler this past spring. There's still a few of them "hidin' out" in some farmer/rancher's shed in that part of the country. :thumbsup:

AKfish

/ Question for haymakers #45  
I was just being a wiseguy and even if I wasn't I'm not always right...just ask my wife. :laughing:

My wife can tell you EVERY mistake I've made in the past 25 years... she tells me EVERY chance she gets!! :D

I worked with my uncle for 3 years near Benson and Morris, MN. He had a 320 acre farm raising edible beans; mostly pintos but some great whites, too. A dozen or so Angus and some pigs.

Last place I baled hay before this year.. IIRC he had an old Massey.

AKfish

/ Question for haymakers #46  
Part of the country where I grew up averages 16" of rainfall/year. There was some corn silage put up - (more silage in that area now) - but it was mostly grazing and hay and winter wheat, small grains.

Big acreage - if you only had 2 sections - you were just starting out. Mostly still that way with some increase in corn, soybean production based on greatly improved genetics and weather changes, too - more humidity and summer moisture.

Still have cousins living there with cow-calf operations. All big rounds.

That's where I bought a low-use, shedded JD 336 small square baler this past spring. There's still a few of them "hidin' out" in some farmer/rancher's shed in that part of the country. :thumbsup:

AKfish

I think were at just over 13 inches already this year . Baled 500 big squares so far but humidity has meant nothing under 16% yet . Been very late getting dry enough for first cut so crop is enormous , 7-8 bales/acre but a bit tough and stalky !

/ Question for haymakers #47  
I think were at just over 13 inches already this year . Baled 500 big squares so far but humidity has meant nothing under 16% yet . Been very late getting dry enough for first cut so crop is enormous , 7-8 bales/acre but a bit tough and stalky !

We have had over 13" in the last 2 weeks!:(