Backhoe Backhoe working properly?

/ Backhoe working properly? #1  

B7500

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B7500 HSD
Hello,
I have had my B7500 with FEL and Backhoe since July and l love it. Before that I never even sat on a tractor let alone run a backhoe so this is all new to me and I cannot compare it's operation to anything else.
Here's my question..
When I run the backhoe it seems I constantly have to "jog" the left joystick. What I mean is everything will stop when digging unless I work the left stick. When I do I hear a clicking sound and only then the bucket will continue. I think a valve is releasing but is this normal or is there something wrong. I realize this machine is not huge and has limitations so when I hit roots or large rocks I have to "work" them. Before I take it to the dealer and make a fool of myself I'd like to know if you guys experience the same thing.
I hope I made sense with my explanation.
Thanks,
Terry

/ Backhoe working properly? #2  
HI Tawoo,

I am new to the backhoe as well. But I have been using mine a lot these last five weeks and have not noticed the need to do what you are describing.

If you move the hoe in free air, does it work smoothly?

I have not heard any clicking sounds coming from my backhoe when operating it, except of course for those normal sounds that occur when I get sloppy and jerk the hoe, rather than making smooth moves. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

If you are grabbing on something that exceeds the capacity of the hoe to move it, I think you should hear a pressure relieve valve operate [different sound than normal operation, like little squeal or something...]. On mine I do hear that kind of sound, when the hoe wants to move but can't. For example, when pulling on a stump that is not ready to come out yet.

On my unit I have not noticed any need to "jog" either of the joysticks like you describe. Sounds like there may be something wrong with your unit.

I have a B2910 with the BL4690A backhoe.

Bill in Pgh, PA

/ Backhoe working properly? #3  
Terry,

Either joystick should not need to be moved to use the other. In other words, to curl the bucket it should not be dependent on any other action or input.

It is normal to use both sticks when digging by feathering (using light input on the joystick) but it should not be predicated by moving the left stick..

I suspect there may be foreign material in the valve body or some obstruction in the delivery of Hyd fluid to the right stick.

Carl

/ Backhoe working properly?
Bill, wow!
I was expecting responses saying it was normal. It sounds like I do have a problem. Thanks for your quick reply.
-Terry

/ Backhoe working properly? #5  
Many small backhoes have the valves installed so that if you move 2 levers at once, one movement will take priority over the other.
With my backhoe if I pull on both sticks at once, the boom will come up first, then the stick will come in second. They don't both move at the same time. But having to pull one stick to have the other work doesn't sound right.

If the backhoe stops working unless you jog the left stick, it sounds to me as if there is a blockage in the system that is preventing flow from your pump to the valves downstream of the first one. Either that or you have a damaged O-Ring that is allowing flow from the first valve back to the sump.

Big Eddy

/ Backhoe working properly?
Thank you for your input. I agree there is a problem and my dealer will be looking at it Monday. Hopefully, he will fix it.
Thanks,
-Terry

/ Backhoe working properly? #7  
Sure sounds like one of the valves is piped up wrong.