What's this in my rear tires?

/ What's this in my rear tires? #1  

F1520

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 1520
A few months back I bought a used Ford 1520. In each of the rear tires, just to the inside of the center seam of the tire, is something that looks like a nail embedded up to the head with a rubber washer under it. (See pics) Does anyone know what these are? :confused:

Thanks!

DSCF0006.jpg

DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0005.jpg

/ What's this in my rear tires? #2  
roofing nails? Used for tin roofs.

/ What's this in my rear tires? #3  
that is a galvanized roofing nail. that type is used for attaching tin to barn roof. its long enough you will have problem when removed. most likely have slow leak now.

/ What's this in my rear tires? #4  
As said roofing nail..99% sure you pull nail by morning almost if not flat...ask me how I know. ;)

/ What's this in my rear tires?
Yeah, they do look like that. :laughing: But these look too perfect to be roofing nails that someone ran over. Could this be some way of loading tires?

/ What's this in my rear tires? #6  
They do look like roofing nails for a tin roof. Is it possible that your tires are filled with foam. That they put the holes in the tires to vent the air out while filling?

Hm... roofing nails. One in each tire? In exactly the same place? (Just to the inside of the seam, centered between the ribs at the low point of the tread.) The tires haven't gone flat, and I haven't added air, in the few months I've had the tractor.

If these are nails, it seems like it would be easy enough to pull 'em and put in a Safety Seal plug.

Last edited:
They do look like roofing nails for a tin roof. Is it possible that your tires are filled with foam. That they put the holes in the tires to vent the air out while filling?

Aha! Yeah, that's the kind of thing I was thinking. Hmm........ hadn't thought of foam. Maybe that's why the tires haven't gone flat!

Looks like we have a winner! :thumbsup: At the valve stem there is some residue that appears to be from urethane foam.

The roofing nail may be to plug the hole that allows air to escape while the foam expands and cures.

Guess I won't need to worry about the pressure in those rear tires. :D

Thanks to all!

Ed

/ What's this in my rear tires? #10  
I was going to say those are the lead headed roof nails for securing a tin roof on like sheds (hones all use screws with the rubber grommets as they seal longer better).

Good call on the foam, would not have thought that at first, i think you have a winner. You could cut a chunk out of them and still be fine