Anyone run a 15' batwing with < 62HP?

/ Anyone run a 15' batwing with < 62HP? #31  
   / Anyone run a 15' batwing with < 62HP? #32  
I am running a Landpride 15' bat wing on a Kubota M7040. It is just mowing down the weeds left over after being used as a horse pasture. I run it as low as I can without scalping the field too much.
It does a nice job running in 4th gear low range and 3rd gear in heavier stuff. Not because it bogs down but gives the mower more time to chew up the golden rod stalks.
I have no doubt this could cut heavier stuff but I would have to reduce speed to get a good cut.

Next time out I will try Soundguy's sugestion and run a higher PTO speed.

/ Anyone run a 15' batwing with < 62HP?
I am running a Landpride 15' bat wing on a Kubota M7040. It is just mowing down the weeds left over after being used as a horse pasture. I run it as low as I can without scalping the field too much.
It does a nice job running in 4th gear low range and 3rd gear in heavier stuff. Not because it bogs down but gives the mower more time to chew up the golden rod stalks.
I have no doubt this could cut heavier stuff but I would have to reduce speed to get a good cut.

Next time out I will try Soundguy's sugestion and run a higher PTO speed.

That's great info. Please let me know if you try it in some heavy 3-5' stuff. Would like to know how it works.

/ Anyone run a 15' batwing with < 62HP? #34  
I've cut 3' tall grass, and 5-7' stemmy weeds with my JD 1517 (medium/light duty) 15' batwing. doesn't seem to mind it any.

soundguy

/ Anyone run a 15' batwing with < 62HP? #35  
That's great info. Please let me know if you try it in some heavy 3-5' stuff. Would like to know how it works.

I'm telling you just go with it. The last time I used my old M7040 to mow with I was cutting 3' high fescue on steep hills in 95 degree temps. I did not get it hot, I didn't bog it down, and I was having no problem controlling the weight of the cutter. Mind you it was a 3715 BushHog which is one HEAVY son of a gun. I ran the pto at 600 rpms, and in lighter grass I could run in third on the low side and heavier I had to come down to second, no big deal. Just make sure you grille screens and radiator are clean an go for it.

/ Anyone run a 15' batwing with < 62HP? #36  
as long as you've got gears to drop, should be fine.. plus in ultra thick stuff you can always just take less of a bite.

soundguy

/ Anyone run a 15' batwing with < 62HP? #38  
12' batwings are nearly identical to a 15' batwing.

Here's what they look like:
http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/list.aspx?ETID=1&catid=1134&Manu=BUSH+HOG&Mdltxt=2212&mdlx=exact

I'm still trying to get the guy near me with the 15' Woods to soften up on his price, so 15' is still in play, but I'd prefer a 12' since I'm doing smaller plots right now.

I would go with a 15' if mowing commercially. The maintenance cost between a 12' and a 15' are next to none but with a wider cut will help you reduce fuel use in the long run over a years time resulting in several hundred dollars less being spent that could go in your pocket or maintenance fund for future repairs/maintenance which in turn will take some of the crunch off your wallet. Not saying you do, but I see a lot of people making poor business decisions that hurt them because they buy the cheapest thing they can get and ultimately ends up costing more money to replace than thinking long term wise investments.

Getting ready to order my JD CX15 with the air bags instead of springs to reduce fatigue. I ran one back in 2006 commercially and couldn't have been happier over a spring ride. Still trying to get used to the new setup of these 2013 Kubota's over the older setup of the M108S. Don't have anything to try out the feathering of the new PTO knob over the old lever style.